Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Squeaking/Whistling noise

955 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Bad69cat 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
Iv been working on my cougar for very long now and I'm finally in a position to start enjoying driving it however there is a load squeaking noise. This noise does not exist when rolling without accelerating, as soon as I start to accelerate it starts again. Which tells me is not the wheel bearings or steering. I'm worried its the gearbox but I'm not sure. To me it sounds like a belt could be slipping, would that make this sound? What do you think it could be?
Thank You

#2 ·
What car are you working on? 67? 68? which engine? Is the engine stock or modified? Have you rebuilt the engine? replaced water pump or pullys? Does the car have air conditioning? When the car is sitting and idling can you reproduce the noise by revving the engine? if so have someone under the hood try to isolate the sound.

#3 ·
Sorry about that. Its a 69 XR-7, 390. The engine is stock with the old water pump. The engine has not been rebuilt and the air con was removed at some stage. When the car is idling, I can reproduce the noise by revving the car, I will get someone to rev the car a bit tomorrow and I will see if I can figure out where is it coming from. The pulleys have been plated but are standard.

#4 · (Edited)
I suspect it's your belt/s - check the tension on your belts by pushing in the middle of the run downward it should deflect some, but be farily snug....also look at the v-side of the belt to see if it's glossy or cracked - they may need replaced. I prefer "Gates" belts over most because they seem to have better bite and last longer than farm store cheapies......

Adjustment is just a matter of loosening a few bolts, holding the alt tight with a prybar while you tighten it up. Just don't make it to tight - there needs to be some play.

#5 ·
Thanks bad69cat. I will give it a try. I did do a bit of adjusting as I thought that's what it may be. However I was concerned that they were too tight but there is a bit of play. I will tighten them up and see if it improves, then I will know. Its worth a try.

#8 ·
I know this is over a year later but I have been extremely busy. I have finally fixed my problem. The wrap around my alternator pulley wasn't enough and as a result I had to make a new alternator bracket. I had it laser cut from stainless steel. I also had a problem with the pulley on the alternator and a wobbling cooling fan. Someone had previously changed the alternator.

http://1969cougar.tumblr.com/post/60529569200/slipping-alternator-pulley

Check out the link for the details for those of you who are interested.

#9 ·
That's one pretty looking alt! you could have purchased the stuff from March as they make very similar stuff.........but nice job either way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.