Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I am working away on restoring my front suspension/steering pieces and in the process of painting those, ie steering gear box, strut bars, control valve, steering linkages, etc. I have been using Eastwood for spray paint products and have been very happy with their overall finished quality and application. Now with regards to my question, Eastwood produces two types of gray, a spray gray and a detail gray. Spray gray is a little darker than the detail gray. Which one of the two should I be using for the steering pieces and what have you guys used in the past for product?

Cheers,

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I've used the Detail Gray A LOT! But I've used it on components like my later model Ford AC compressor and PS pump bracket and aluminum water pump. I think it's a great match for THAT factory looking color. I've never used Spray Gray or worried about the "correct" color for steering components so sorry, no help there.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I always used spray grey to simulate "as cast" finish of cast iron. The detail grey resembles cast steel.
Different shades are available from other sources, use them to add a little contrast.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Currently I am working away on restoring my front suspension/steering pieces and in the process of painting those, ie steering gear box, strut bars, control valve, steering linkages, etc. I have been using Eastwood for spray paint products and have been very happy with their overall finished quality and application. Now with regards to my question, Eastwood produces two types of gray, a spray gray and a detail gray. Spray gray is a little darker than the detail gray. Which one of the two should I be using for the steering pieces and what have you guys used in the past for product?

Cheers,

Art put it real well..think of it this way..if a piece of metal was "stamped" or bent sheet metal (ie even some of the steering components like the A arm) it is detail gray. If it is a round (suspension/steering arm)or thick piece of metal or cast iron (ie steering box) it is Cast gray or "spray gray".

I goofed up a lot of parts early on my cars..once you get this down, it makes things very much easier. And buy the stuff by the CASE, beleive me. It takes a lot of paint. Same with low gloss Black and Semi Gloss Black. Many attempts take many cans ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts