Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago when I started working on the Cougar, I posted some pictures of the changes I was making on the car. Started with floor boards and torque box repairs, then trunk repairs, then patch panels on both quarters, then I replaced the roof, shaved the drip rails and door handles, tucked the back bumper, put on custom mirrors and a rear spoiler. The last pictures I think I posted was putting reversed hood hinges so the hood flips forward when opened like an older Tbird.
I haven't touched the Cougar for pretty much a year and a half and it was time to get back on it. I've been working on the front of the car for a few days now. What do you think...?

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
A couple years ago when I started working on the Cougar, I posted some pictures of the changes I was making on the car. Started with floor boards and torque box repairs, then trunk repairs, then patch panels on both quarters, then I replaced the roof, shaved the drip rails and door handles, tucked the back bumper, put on custom mirrors and a rear spoiler. The last pictures I think I posted was putting reversed hood hinges so the hood flips forward when opened like an older Tbird.
I haven't touched the Cougar for pretty much a year and a half and it was time to get back on it. I've been working on the front of the car for a few days now. What do you think...?

Hmmm, Get rid of the scoop. (you have enough air entries)
File down the fangs a little
Move up the leading edge of the valance.
Fill in the licence plate depression.
no scoop1.jpg

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Wowee. I want to see a from-an-angle pic. What color is this going? Black, I hope!

That's one of those things I've always wanted to do- chop up and recreate a car like that. It's super-mean looking.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
So- wait. You cut the front of the hood off and made it like a header panel? Now the hood opens forward and tucks behind the former-front of itself? Holy crap you put a lot of work into that!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, Get rid of the scoop. (you have enough air entries)

Keeping the scoop as I don't want to fill the hole in the hood. The outside 2 openings above the blinker holes are for cooling the brakes. Kind of going on a Trans Am direction sort of...

File down the fangs a little

I'm still undecided on the fangs. They were more for fun then anything.

Move up the leading edge of the valance.

There is a gap there to fill. Have to look at that some more. It's about the only thing original left.

Fill in the licence plate depression.

Left that just to break things up a bit. May do something with it yet.

Still have a ways to go yet in the fabrication but it's coming along. Just thought I should share..and get some comments on what I'm doing...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think it looks awesome.

This could very well be a super-hero car from a Hollywood screen adaption of some sinister Marvel or DC publication.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Make the FANGS more like front fender edges, not so sharp pointed, that pointed piece under grill/hood, well, make it a continuation of the hood front. Consider a short lower SPLITER, maybe.

You are having fun, FUN IS GOOD!

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
194 Posts
His FUN is even better, because the outcome follows a certain scheme which doesn't bring into ridicule the original body lines.

With body alterations, only very few could do it better than Ford's stylists did back in the day. With this ride, I see nothing wrong or out of place, basically. *thumbs up*
I like Dale's suggestions, also. Especially repeating the grille center's shape on the lower part.

Any ideas on the wheels and tires yet? I can imagine quite a few combos on this car. Like, classy custom with Lincoln "turbine" wheels and some dual redlines, gold rings or blue streak tires, or something like 18-plus inches wrapped in a sick Nitto rubber band (hard to believe I just typed that, as I usually dislike modern, large diameter wheels). The bigger the wheels, the lower the body should sit IMHO.

GO! 67Poncho, make us all proud! Blade, the Punisher and the Green Hornet all shall cringe in agony as YOUR car drives them deep into the fits of jealousy!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well thanks guys. I have yet to see the 3/4 / side angle yet myself. Can't really do it yet till I get the motor and tranny in place to see how it will sit. As for colour and wheels and tires hmmm....believe it or not I'm thinking white like a clean canvas with black stripes off the hood and down the sides, way different than your thinking, and probably 17s with some side wall...but who knows it's a build in progress, no conceptual drawing (I can barely draw stickman) just build how I feel...if I don't like it I'll just start over with another idea...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Interesting project for sure! Not sure if this is true with the center grille piece you've done, but be careful if you're considering blending the fender extensions with the fenders. Just saw a nice custom Cougar yesterday at the Portland swap meet that had that done, and the paint was cracking along that line. The fender extensions are made of a different metal, which expands/contracts at a different rate. So, that may or may not be an issue with your center grille piece, but it's something to keep in mind. Keep up the good work! I always like to see these examples of ballsy creativity coming to life (whether I like the end result or not).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts