Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wheres the best place to buy? Quality price etc. I really want to start rounding up parts. Thanks in advance Mike

·
Registered
544 Posts
Reproduction spoilers are available from some of the vendors. The ram air set up is very expensive. I have heard it may be reproduced soon, so you may want to wait. I believe there was a post about this within the last couple months on the Classic Cougar list-server. If it is reproduced, this would bring down the price from the stratosphere.

Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts
ram air and shaker set ups are avalible from FoMoCo
The prices are tame compaired to every thing else I have seen

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. Are all the spoilers made by the same co?If not the wholr ram air setup, what about just the scoop? Mike

·
Registered
544 Posts
Reproduction scoops are available from most cougar or mustang vendors, as are rear spoilers. They are not identical to the originals however.

Steve

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jim, No I didnt go or know about for that matter. I plan on going to a bunch this year. I just got a application for Delmarva, and look forward to having fun with my new cougar. The first get together is april 13 in Newport News. Mike

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Steve, I was hoping to find out which mfg. is closest to orig. Also which vender has the best prices service etc.I know once the car gets here I am going to need quite a few parts. Aside from the spoilers and scoop I know I need a complete weatherstriping set. I am also going to be looking for some really NICE wheels. I dont know what kind yet. wide open . Maybe Kelsey Hayes? I dont know something differant thats gonna make that COUGAR look killer. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
544 Posts
You can find vendor lists on the CCOA and Delmarva web sites. I use different vendors for different parts. I have not ordered ot used the reproduction hood scoop or spoiler, so I can't comment on who is best.

Steve

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think Iam pretty well hooked up on spoilers andscoops how about those edelbrock heads? pros and cons? Thanks Mike

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont like aluminum wire, cutting or shaping aluminum but what do I know? Evidently I dont have to go looking for new heads right off the bat, at least. I used to have a f4b on my first cougar. Good old edelbrock. I really want time to think about the moter, I hope this one runs decent. Mike

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just wanted to say be careful when ordering a repro hood scoop. I ordered one from one of the top vendors and the studs don't match up to the originals. It would seem like that doesn't matter since I didn't already have holes in my hood, but the studs are on top of the brace and you need to do a lot of drilling to get it right. I decided to wait until I find an original scoop.

As far as the heads go, I have a Boss 351 block and the shop is currently building the small block. I have Brodix aluminum heads being installed. They are supposed to give you more power than all of the others.

RayJ

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi RAY, That deal on the scoop is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I am trying to get specific names vendors etc for the good stuff. T hanks Mike

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I bought a perfect hood scoope on E-bay (69 Eliminator style) for $125. Sounds like alot but its nice, looks great, and as long as I dont break it will only climb in value over the years!

my .02
Scott

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello Scott, That sounds like what I am looking for. What brand or mfg.? Thanks Mike

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Jim, How are you today. You dont understand, I intend to have that stuff installed and looking good by april, no the week I get the car! Mike

·
Registered
246 Posts
RayJ said:
I just wanted to say be careful when ordering a repro hood scoop. I ordered one from one of the top vendors and the studs don't match up to the originals. It would seem like that doesn't matter since I didn't already have holes in my hood, but the studs are on top of the brace and you need to do a lot of drilling to get it right. I decided to wait until I find an original scoop.
Yep. I have the aftermarket scoop from Mustangs Unlimited on my car, I had to cut access holes in the hood brace to be able to get a nut onto the studs coming from the repro.

As far as I know, the only way to avoid this is to get an original scoop, which is $$$.

I have the repro spoiler, also from Mustangs Unlimited, although I think it's just the same as all of the other ones. It required drilling 4 holes in the trunk (obviously) and that was it. Just bolted right up after that and looks nice.

The front spoiler from Mustangs Unlimited is just a solid fiberglass piece. I didn't get the mounting kit, but the spoiler comes with no holes or anything on it. Not sure how the original is, the front spoiler isn't a common topic of discussion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts