Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car = 1970 Standard Coupe, 351C 4V 4 speed.

My troubles are, the original speedo cable got burned through by the exhaust (I bought it this way but it still worked at the time)

Anyways, I bought a new cable from Autozone of the correct length but could not get it snapped down on the gauge. Thinking it was too long (I don't know why I thought this) I clipped the end of it. Bingo! Ruined speedo cable.

I buy a new cable (just the core cable) with a new tip on it. I read the directions, make the cuts as mentioned, attach the new tip, thread the new cable into the sheath and Bingo...It STILL doesn't work...hang on, I'm going to test it with a drill to see if the gauge is ok, hang on.....Ok, the speedo works. So, what am I doing wrong? Has anyone ever used an AutoZone cable or core cable before?

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
30 Posts
I clipped the end of the cable I got from Mustangs Unlimited after the end got buggered up and wouldn't fit into the sheath. Then it was also too short! I also bought a core cable from Auto Zone, and the speedometer works, except the needle jumps around until about 20mph, then it's smooth. I've just lived with it so far. I hope you can get it working.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, to solve the unsolvable, I went digital. Worked great 1st time off. However, I notice that it bounces around like an analog one would, but I have just digital numbers. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks, Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts