Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks all on my last question! So I have the classic bouncing speedometer until it hits about 50 mph or so and can hear a squeak comming from underneath the car! The cable is new so what do you think would be a fix?

·
Registered
913 Posts
maybe you need a mouse trap, no serious, why don't you disconnect the speedo cable under the car and hook it to a drill motor and see if the needle still jumps, make sure there are no bends or kinks, also squirt some graphite on the cable and see if the squeak goes away.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. New that I put in about a year ago. Except the squeak.Ii was told to lubricate it. I just haven't been
up to pulling the cluster out and crawling back under the car. Maybe in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You probably have a sharp bend in the cable, try moving cable around to get a bigger bend on the cable. I've replaced couple cables and found this to be the problem. Mine have been under the dash, also keep the cable off headers.

·
11,000 Posts
The new cable I got recently was dry inside. You need to pull the cable element out and coat it with lithium grease.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts