Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the speedo cable can be greased by removing it from the transmission side or does it have to be removed from the back of the speedometer in the dash? Mine makes a rubbing noise in the colder months. I have a 4 speed top loader if that makes a difference.

Thank you
Bill

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just looked at my NOS Speedo cable. Looking at the odometer side it looks like it is almost sealed and lubing from that side could take a while. The 4sp. side with the gear removed looks like it would take lube easier/faster. I personally would remove the cable from the car. With it out of the car,you could hang it with the odometer side down and put the lube in at the top/trans side. As you put the oil in,spin the wire inside the cable to faciliate the oil. The hardest part to get to is the clip under the carpet that attaches the cable to the firewall. That clip can be a pain. Cut the clip and just replace it when you put the speedo back in.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to be clear....remove the cable from the 4speed side lubricate the cable and reinsert. No need to take the dash apart and access from the speedometer side. Correct?

Thanks for your time. Bill

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Or would a dry lubricant, like graphite be better?

·
Registered
401 Posts
If your hearing the noise inside, then I would think the cable may be dry at the speedo head. Woodsnake,How would you get graphite into the cable? The speedo side looks very tight,almost sealed looking. I have used a graphite spray that dries.Got it at Home Depot. That may work but it is messy and stains.If you just disconnect at the trans,how will you know you have lube all the way to the speedo side? The dash is easy to remove.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I can't say for sure on a 4 spd car - but most cables I've lubed you have to extract it from the dash. The old grease inside dries up hardens and then tends to growl. Getting them back in can be very challenging. Basically you remove the cluster, pull the cable out of the tube, clean it up as best you can, wipe it down with a good coat of grease (wheel grease sticks best and stays put), work it back into the tube until it seats in the trans gear properly (you may have to rotate it some). I don't know that you could pull the cable out from the trans side....I wouldn't think so, as I recall the head on the speedo side is fixed to the cable and the trans side the gear just rides on the squared off end of the cable....

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
hey - that's a pretty slick little thing! That would make life much easier if you could use a grease of some type...? Is that just for brake and clutch cables though..? Either way I'd like one for my bikes....cool

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a pretty neat attachment. Sounds like the dash will be coming apart to do it properly.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
You can buy those cable lubes at most motorcycle shops and not expensive. You should get cable lube while you are there as they only work with presurized spray.
I have used them on my dirt bikes for years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts