Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the speedo cable on my son's 69 broke the other day. we bought a new one from the local auto parts store. It was longer about 79" but looked right. the one we pulled off was like 59-1/2". It didn't make it a mile before it broke. I figured it was in a bind because of the excess length. took it back and got the only other one they had 63" put it in and it didn't make it a half mile before it broke. the gear on the trans end looks fine. if I take the broken end of the cable and put it in a drill it turns the speedo freely. what the H*ll am I doing wrong ? 351W FMX 3:00/1 gears.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Are you working with just a new inner cable, or the whole assembly? I had a similar problem, it was just getting bound up 'making the turn' back into the transmision.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm working with the whole assembly and I'm thinking it's binding up behind the instrument cluster. but at this point I'm kinda lost.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
same situation. parts guy at advance auto got us the correct length. don't have the part # though, sorry. I'll try to get it later this morning

1 - 4 of 4 Posts