Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have or can take a photo of their fog light / sunroof switches and bezel. I am restoring both of mine and want to see the size, color, and font originally used for the lettering on the wood grain. Both consoles I have the have lettering has worn off.

Thanks,

·
Registered
735 Posts
Mine are worn off too.

I'd be interested in seeing a good pic also. I believe they were white letters that must have been screen printed on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't have any lettering on mine either and I've wondered if that's just the way it came originally. Where did you purchase the burl wood grain vinly from for overlay part.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've seen white capital letters 'FOG' and 'ROOF' on several switch plates. I heard people match up the wood grain with wood grain contact paper (cabinet shelf liner) from a craft store.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Scott,

Get in touch with Bill Basore (XR7G428), he owns the majority of the G's in the free world :buck:

I'll bet one of his has this panel in nice condition...

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the head up regarding Bill Basore, I have already been in contact with him and he said he is going to try to gets some photos for me. I'm going to be trying to reproduce the wood grain for the switch and side trim for "G" consoles and I may make up kits to sell to help offset the initial set-up cost involved in recreating the woodlike vinyl should there be enough interest.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Here is what I have from a lincoln, Not sure if it would be the same wording as well. since I don't have a sun roof, I will be putting a vacuum switch in place of the roof switch for a trunk release. For the fog lights, the only other switch that I have that will work is the lock to disconnect the power to the back windows. This will work for the fog lights.
I have never seen the vacuum switch before, but should work for the vacuum release in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Scott,
When you make the kit, I will buy one from you. Maybe I can special order one with instead of window on it, It could be labeled trunk.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for the head up regarding Bill Basore, I have already been in contact with him and he said he is going to try to gets some photos for me. I'm going to be trying to reproduce the wood grain for the switch and side trim for "G" consoles and I may make up kits to sell to help offset the initial set-up cost involved in recreating the woodlike vinyl should there be enough interest.
I would be very interested in a kit. Check with Zogman here on MC.Net as he has talked about making the woodgrain kits as well.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to start working on getting the kits designed next week. I'm still looking to see what the text looks like on the switch. I have been given a couple of leads to follow-up on regarding photos. Cougar2, I would think inserting the text "trunk" instead of "roof" should be no big deal with minimal or no added expense.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...I have never seen the vacuum switch before, but should work for the vacuum release in the trunk...
Can't say I have heard of anyone using a vacuum release for the trunk, most people (including myself) use later model trunk latches with the electrical solenoid. I think Lincoln uses that as well. Is there a vacuum based system I don't know about?

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob, you make good point there. I would think the later model electrical solenoid set up would be an easier set-up to install rather than running vacuum lines all the way to the back & front of the car from the console. Just so happens I have a complete electrical truck release set-up for Cougar2 should he want to go that way. Photo can be found at the link below, just scroll down a ways.

http://scottsgaragesale.weebly.com/69-70-cougar-items.html

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Bob, you make good point there. I would think the later model electrical solenoid set up would be an easier set-up to install rather than running vacuum lines all the way to the back & front of the car from the console. Just so happens I have a complete electrical truck release set-up for Cougar2 should he want to go that way. Photo can be found at the link below, just scroll down a ways.

http://scottsgaragesale.weebly.com/69-70-cougar-items.html
Yep Scott, that is exactly what I am using, including the factory button (mounted in the bottom-horizontal part of the lower dash). Wired in to my two button wireless entry/alarm, it is one of my favorite upgrades I made to the car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a small amount of woodgrain film made by 3M, who made the original film. A friend made it in their lab exactly like the original. It is wide enough for the passenger side dash but not quite wide enough for the driver side. I would be willing to donate it to someone who wants to get it duplicated. I tried to get 3M to do it but they didn't see enough volume to justify it. I sent one sample to Bill Basore but he apparently decided not to make it.
The only problem is that I am in Texas until next May and the samples are in Minnesota.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tlchaffin;

I am interested in your offer but I think I will need to the samples before next May. If there was interest I could also have pieces made that would be made to work on both sides of the dash. I'm not really sure how this would look considering the original dash pieces seen to have some other type of material making the woodlike appearance. If nothing else I could scan the piece you have to have the small pieces made for the G console should I not be able to come up with suitable photo of the woodgrain. Thanks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Scott, I believe that the woodgrain is the same for both the dash and the console. I don't know how I can get to my samples any sooner, however. Traveling back to Minnesota during the winter is not a part of my program. It looks like you should keep looking. You might try Bill Basore because I sent him a sample a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Can't say I have heard of anyone using a vacuum release for the trunk, most people (including myself) use later model trunk latches with the electrical solenoid. I think Lincoln uses that as well. Is there a vacuum based system I don't know about?

Regards,

Bob
Bob,
I will try to dig it up and take a picture of it. It came from a Lincoln or big Mercury early 70's. It has a vacuum diaphragm that pull a small cable/wire to the lock unit.
Ya, the electric one definitely would be better and I think Im going to take Scott up on his offer. I can use one of the window switches as a momentary button to activate the trunk lock.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does anyone have or can take a photo of their fog light / sunroof switches and bezel. I am restoring both of mine and want to see the size, color, and font originally used for the lettering on the wood grain. Both consoles I have the have lettering has worn off.

Thanks,
Here you go. The text appears to be silkscreened over the woodgrain overlay. I would be interested in a repo version if anyone is making them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chris, thanks for the photo. Bill B. has also posted some photos on the other Cougar board. The link is below:

http://www.classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=300

I just dropped of some sample vinyl I was able to remove from one of my consoles and my sign guy is going to try to reproduce the woodgrain and add the text by using his sign printing machine. I will post photos of the results. I do know the new vinyl will not have the embossed grain like the originals if that matters to you.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 39 Posts