Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The C4 in my car appears to be a relatively newer unit (it is still a pretty blue) but has a tendency to leave a nice puddle of fluid on the ground. Is there one particular spot where these tended to leak from on a regular basis. I have yet to have the time to diagnose where the source may be from but it looks to be starting from the lower half of the unit.... Any Insights???
--MG

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Pan gasket, Servo cover oring or gasket, cooling lines, vacuum modulator from the middle section. Tailshaft cover gasket or rear seal if it coming from the back. Those are the easy ones. If it's coming out of the bell housing; front seal......

I would check for loose cooling line connections. Since it is a reasonably new tranny maybe the connections weren't made completely. Also - be sure not to overtighten the pan bolts. This is fairly common and results in stripped case threads or a warped pan, either of which will drip.

That's where I would start looking.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mine leaks out of the line right before it hits the transmission cooler [ I'm going to fix it any day I swear ;) ] But if it's leaking here then it's leaking out of the front of your engine, no where near the transmission itself. If the puddle emerges from directly under the C4 then hopefully its the pan gasket rather than a more serious problem such as a misplaced seal. But "lower half" leads me to believe the pan gasket is the more probable location of grief. - Chad

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Mine is leaking as well. When I checked underneath, I found that a previous owner had used only a silicone type sealant instead of the proper gasket on the pan. Another repair job on the list!:rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts