Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know if 3" or 5" round speakers will fit in my 1970 kick panels?
Havent had them out in a while.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Not unless you buy some of the bumped out ones made for doing just this. Those, at least to me look like trouble (like how does one work the E-Brake with them?). On the stock ones there simply is no room with the vents there, and the rest of the area is right up against the body sheetmetal.

Personally, I think there is a reason so many people put them in the bottom, front of the doors, it is the only place there is room and even there - there isnt a lot and only a few speakers will fit.

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
980 Posts
Ditto on putting them in the bottom front of the doors, Like Bob said only a select few fit in there, watch out for interference with the window crank and regulator inside too. If you do put them in the doors get the plastic covers for the inside to keep the water off of them. I bought 4"x 6" for mine, but the PO had cut them out for 6 x 9...you guessed it...they didn't fit. So, I put in a patch plate, re-cut the opening for the 4 x 6 and put new 6 x 9 Grills on the openings. You can't tell it, unless you take them apart. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Tell me about these plastic covers you speak of?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Well, some of the mfg's supply the plastic rain/water covers with the speakers when you buy them, they go "inside" the door behind the speakers to keep the rain/wash water off the back of the speakers...the ones that came with my speakers caused an interference problem with the regulator (inside the door)....I looked everywhere to find something that would fit up tighter to the speakers and give me the clearance for the regulators...I wound up using 4" wide shrink wrap tape (*that sh!t will stick to water, really good stuff to use) and made a "hood" for the top of the metal portion of the speakers and covered a little over half of the speaker down and over the magnet, to deflect the water that runs into the inside of the doors and gets out of the weep holes at the bottom. Even though I had put new rubber seals and belting on the doors for the windows, water does still run in/down the glass and will get the speakers wet if you don't use something to deflect it off them. I still have a partial roll of the tape if you need it?? If so, pm me your mailing address or you can most likely find a vendor in your nieghborhood that sells shrink wrap tape. Let me know.

Jay

·
Registered
980 Posts
Found this on another site ... talking about the water/rain issue: The website was http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/printpost.php?tid/820539/

14-11-09 12:27 AM - Post#1853686 <!--NEWMARKER-->

Sorry if it's been covered before (I did search) but I have the leaky door problem on my Mondeo Ghia X 2002.

Been to fords to pick their brains, and had the door panel off today to find the issue.

Problem areas are drivers side rear door and drivers side drivers door.

Drivers door not much of an issue, but rear door has a swimming pool behind the drivers seat.

Though the foam liner had unglued a little from the rear door, that is not the problem.

The issue seems to be (as verified by ford mechanic) of the water gets in the window seal, then drips onto the speakers and then runs down the inside of the foam liner, soaking it and it then drips onto the door sill and overflows onto the carpet.

I could make some plastic covers to shield the speakers so the water drips back into the door to drain as ford intended, or should I buy new window seals to stop the water getting in in such quantities?

Sealing the foam cover back is not the answer, as it is sealed, but fully soaked with water.

All advice greatly appreciated. <!--POLLS--><!--FILES-->

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aww crap. thats what thought, after looking at some cheep kick panels to cut up on ebay.

Has anyone tried to hang some speakers under the dash above the kick panels?
Or maybe under the front seats?

I really dont want to cut the door panels.

Gota get some more sound up front.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found this on another site ... talking about the water/rain issue: The website was http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/printpost.php?tid/820539/

14-11-09 12:27 AM - Post#1853686 <!--NEWMARKER-->

Sorry if it's been covered before (I did search) but I have the leaky door problem on my Mondeo Ghia X 2002.

Been to fords to pick their brains, and had the door panel off today to find the issue.

Problem areas are drivers side rear door and drivers side drivers door.

Drivers door not much of an issue, but rear door has a swimming pool behind the drivers seat.

Though the foam liner had unglued a little from the rear door, that is not the problem.

The issue seems to be (as verified by ford mechanic) of the water gets in the window seal, then drips onto the speakers and then runs down the inside of the foam liner, soaking it and it then drips onto the door sill and overflows onto the carpet.

I could make some plastic covers to shield the speakers so the water drips back into the door to drain as ford intended, or should I buy new window seals to stop the water getting in in such quantities?

Sealing the foam cover back is not the answer, as it is sealed, but fully soaked with water.

All advice greatly appreciated. <!--POLLS--><!--FILES-->
How about replacing the speakers with waterproof marine grade speakers?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Aww crap. thats what thought, after looking at some cheep kick panels to cut up on ebay.

I havent done them in the kick panels but on my 69 vert I have replaced the one under the dash with a 4x6 speaker
depends on the kind of money you want to spend to do this
I know they now make slim line speakers there very pricey
search audiotoys.com they may have something that might work.
I have 6 speakers in my vert 2 in the door 1 in dash and 2 6x9's and a 10" sub and amp in the trunk with dynamat in the trunk
I have to go to my audio place tomorrow about another car I'll ask my friend there
Juli :wave:

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Would it work to punch some holes in the backing but keep the cover "natural" or cut four pies in the backing to hold up the vinyl?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

I had custom pods made for the kick panels. I'll try and post pics one of these days

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone try one of thoes smaller two speaker jobs, that fit in the stock speaker mount in the middle of the dash?
It looks like a great solution.
How do they sound?
They look kind of small, dont think much base response would be too good.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I have the set with the Pioneers in it (the fancier of the two available ones). Not in the car yet though, so can't say how well they sound. I plan on running them in series with the door speakers to handle a little more than they are rated for from the stereo I chose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts