Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im in need of replacing the spark plugs in my 78 cougar. Im wondering if anyone has advice for type? I normally get platinums (for my 4 cylinder cars) but im not sure what would be best for a 78. I have the 351 Modified engine.Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have always ran Autolite. Lots of folks on this forum hate them......but they have always served me well.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I use NGK or Autolite. I don't use platinums in a Cleveland or M series. I just use factory replacement plugs. Though, depending on the condition of the engine, if you want to use platinums you certainly can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. The car has about 143,000 miles on it and i dont believe it has been rebuilt, but at the same time i found it with an edelbrock carb and performer 400 intake. So im not sure what has been done to it. It currently has copper autolites from the previous owner. And im really back and forth. I have seen proof that platinum plugs can increase fuel mileage but at the same time im not sure how much that would help in this car. And i do plan to get NGK plugs those are the ones i prefer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You mean you aren't going with Stacey David's endorsement for the E3 spark plugs? Shoot, you have got to be crazy not to with all the benefits they claim:

"Up to 13% better truck fuel economy than standard replacement plugs. Increase horsepower as much as 12%. Reduce emissions up to 58% over the life of the plug."

Don't think so, just run Motorcraft, if anyone stands the most to gain from spark plug technology its the OEM. If there was a difference that was worth the price, every car manufacturer would be using them to meet emissions, fuel economy and performance standards. I'm sure they've dumped millions into researching it and guess what, they still use the basic design albeit with platinum. Shop around and you can find them for around $20 for 8. Rockauto usually has a good deal on them.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I use NGK or Autolite. I don't use platinums in a Cleveland or M series. I just use factory replacement plugs. Though, depending on the condition of the engine, if you want to use platinums you certainly can.
Why no platinum Andy, any particular reason? And for where to buy Tony, Walmart sells Autolite Platinum's for around $2 a plug if memory serves, that's where I got mine.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The only thing that the platinums have over the standard plugs is longer life. Generally with any carbed cleveland you'll be pulling the plugs within 20-30k miles to sort a condition with the ignition or carburetion. Chances are you'll have at least one fouled plug or firing issue thats related to fuel or sparkage.
So, I just stick with the cheapies and swap them out as needed. I've never noticed a performance gain, or even an increase in consistency with platinums, so there's no real loss.

At his mileage, he's probably about 20k or so from some top end work anyway. No real point in running platinums, imo. I'm impressed it hasn't swallowed a valve yet.

The only exception I can think of in a carbureted engine is BMW airhead two cylinder motorcycles. They get NGK platinums, but mostly because that's what everyone wants.
It's just a silly bias I have, that's really it. I suppose I'm too pessimistic to buy platinums.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The engine doesnt seem to have any problems. Although the weather here in washington has done a toll on my valve cover gaskets... But ill go with the coppers then. Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Change the valve cover gaskets, man. It'll give you and opportunity to nose around the top of the engine and look at how it's holding up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats my plan. Im currently in college so i havent had the time to really work on the Cougar. Ive been driving my 4 banger around. Im planning on pretty much doing the general tuneup. Plugs,wires, distributor cap/rotor, air cleaner, valve cover gaskets, front end alignment, new brakes and the such. I just noticed the valve cover gaskets leaking on my bi weekly cougar drive around and im not to happy. Lets hope everything looks good when i pull the covers off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts