Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a set of spark plug wires on sale :D at a local parts place but they don't have a listing for a 67 289. Is it a safe assumption to think that any wire set for a 302 will do the job? They can get a set for a 79 mustang 302 and an 87 mustang 302...but nothing in stock so I can't compare. As far as I know all 289 and 302 engines are basically the same??? Any :1zhelp: is appreciated!

·
Registered
889 Posts
wires

I just did mine. When I got my car last summer I bought a ready made set for my 390,they gave me a set for a 428 same size block.I tore my engine compartment down to detail the engine and fire wall.This time I got a set of accell blue wires and did the spicing my self they came out way better it looks nice and neat I was very pleased.If you go that way make suer you have some dielectric compoud to slip the boots over. Dan

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i would say that yes, they will fit the car. BUT if im right the later 87 5.0L will have the Duraspark ignition, and i dont think that the wires for that distributor will work on your car. im not sure about the 79 one, i think that might have the electronic one as well.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting point Steve, so I guess the new question is does anybody know when the duraspark system started ??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts