Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, I went to move ragact from one driveway to another. The drive has a fairly steep incline and I was unable to pull it. Rag would just completely bog down and had NO power. Bear in mind, she has been started, but not on the road in a little over 2 years. Tonight, I pulled the plugs and I could see white/gray in the ceramic area on only 2 of 8 plugs. The rest were completely sooty black and a couple were wet and very gassy smelling. Here's my questions: I'm running a MSD 6AL complete with distributor and coil. I'm at least another couple of months or so from even thinking about putting her back on the road, and in all realistic honesty, it probably won't be until next spring. Shoud I buy good plugs now, or cheap ones until ready to put her on the road? What plugs do you in the know reccomend, and at what should I gap them at?
Thanx
Chuck

·
Registered
885 Posts
Chuck,

I like Splitfires. I run them in my motorcycles also. You're problem climbing the driveway likely has nothing to do with spark plugs, however. I suspect ragcat may have developed a carburetor problem, like a sticky float. The fact the driveway has an incline could exacerbate the problem.

Steve C.

·
11,000 Posts
Sounds like the gas in your tank went bad. You should really drain the gas out of a car that is stored more than 90 days.

Split Fire plugs are a joke. Sorry to be blunt but it's the truth. They are no better than a plug without the cut center electrode. Buy a set of Autolite/ Motorcraft or AC plugs for your car. If you are fouling plugs with an MSD it is no fault of the plugs, you have a major fuel problem.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I agree that you have fuel problem. just buy reg plugs, drain fuel completely, and refuel with sta-bil gas stablizer. Be sure to run/drive car to get fuel additive into carb. Geoff.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx to one and all!! Guess I'll be draining the gas soon as I get the chance. Stick with the .035 gap even with MSD?
Thanx again
Chuck

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I just changed the plugs in rag and she started up fine and seemed to run smoother than before. Since I really needed to get her moved into the other driveway, I backed down one drive and pulled up the drive I had problems with last week with NO problems. Next step will be to take everyone's suggestions and dump/replace the gas in the tank before running her anymore. I think I already know the answer, but would bad gas explain excessive smoke (more of a blackish/gray as opposed to blue) and a rich smell to the exhaust?
Thanx again
Chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts