Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure out if the bracket was relocated, or if there were two places for it? Looks like someone pulled it out of the top, although there is one on the right side. Is this normal, or does anyone know which is correct for 68?
Thanks 005.jpg for the help. 006.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
The first picture I think is were a convertible hook goes. The second one, that was removed is were a hard top with a full size spair tire goes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There was no factory 68 vert.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the SS full sized spare. I am thinking I should weld another one back in place?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, the first picture shows where one was, and where one is. Can someone tell me where the 68 XR7 spare with style steel wheel
is suppose to be located.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Ok, the first picture shows where one was, and where one is. Can someone tell me where the 68 XR7 spare with style steel wheel
is suppose to be located.
Ken, I was just looking in my '68 Cougar Body Assembly Manual and where the bracket is mounted in your first pic is about where either the steel wheel or styled steel wheel would mount if they had the space saver tire or collapsible spare tire. In the second pic is where the steel wheel or styled steel wheel would mount if they had the full size tire. If you have the Marti Report to your car, see if it lists the space saver tire or collapsible spare tire under the option list. John

·
Registered
205 Posts
my personal experience on my 70 xr 7 vert is the first picture and i've got full size wheel in there. redoing the trunk floor everything was thrown away so i had no guidance where to put the hook. i put it where the second holes are because that's where my 67 couple one is. the problem there is the top laying down in the well liner. then we had to move it to where the first photo shows.

that's my story and i am sticking to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts