Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,

I've been busy figuring out the wiring harness of the lighting of my 68, because one of the previous owners made a big mess out of it (there's not a single wire which has not been cut and tied back togheter).
Also the black tape around it is gone where it passes the left shock tower, so I can see all the original colors of the wires there (thank goodness). The thing is, however, I've been able to define every but 4 wires. 2 yellow wires and 2 reds (no colored lines in any of them).
One of the 2 yellows might be connected to the starter relay and the 2 red wires are tied to eachother (don't see much of a point there).
I've been going through my Chiltons but I just cannot find out what they're supposed to connect to.
Anyone here who's got a clue? It is kind of puzzling me.
The car is supposed to be a 68 xr7, 302 4V with A/C, P/S.

Thanks,
Matthijs

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
What you may find very helpfull is a "FORD Shop Manual" for 1968. It has wiring diagrams in it. Good luck. Neal.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm

There's a couple of wiring diagrams in my chiltons but they don't cover everything (front side turn signal light for example).
I was actually hoping someone here has one of these books covering every little part of the cougar and is willing to tell me the catch here.
Thing is, there's not too many of these old cars shop manuals available around here (actually, there's not very many people doing their own maintence around here), so it is kind of hard to get one.
But besides that, I'm pretty sure they're wires of something which has been taken out, since everything seems to work.
Could it be by any chance for the window washer pump or so?

Thanks,
Matthijs

·
Registered
89 Posts
Info

Hi there i was in the same boat:angryfi: he did the same lucky i found a wiring book for 68 Xr-7 anyways. if your car has a gauge for water temp either yellow wire goes there.the other to your oil sensor by the fuel pump the two red ones ?? take a picture of them.where are they coming from?:confused:

·
Registered
889 Posts
red wire

My exrta red wire I think was for the AC unit that was already out when I got the car

1 - 5 of 5 Posts