Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish there was a so cal cougar club that wasn't an 80 mile round trip. Aren't there any cougars in the inland empire? I know of three beaters within a 5 block radius of myself and I see a 69 cougar going by jurupa valley high quite a bit. The southern california cougar club talks about car clinics, technical tips, discounts and more. I LOVE the club but have not seen any of this. I have been a member for about 3 years ( I think). And I do love going to the cougar nationals. I just wish I could find people in my area trying to fix their cars and save the cats. The cars in the sccc are very intimidating. 1 of 100 etc, etc, doesn't seem like much room for a 68 standard with a sad story and not a lot of money. I hope I don't sound too bitter. I really do love the club and this site. Just frustrated I guess.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
im not sure of an actualy club out there, but i know that a few of the guys in the SoCal club live out in that area as well. and yeah, i know what you mean about some of teh cars being intimidating. first time i went there i didnt know what to think either. first one i went to there was a 428 CJ 4 speed car there, and an absolutely gorgeous XR7-G ( Art's ) then here i come with my 69 Std that i painted myself. i think it is a nice car, but certainly not up to the caliber that alot of theirs are. i just try to have fun with it. i know what you mean though about not being around alot of the cars. i know of like 5 local Cougars but dont know any of the owners of the cars. all of them are projects too. ( including a 69 XR7 with a white interior... grrrr me wanty )ok ok... its been a long rambling post already, but i know there are people out there as well. from this site and everything. maybe anotehr chapter of the club then? worth a shot.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I know what you mean..... here in the centeral San Joaquin (fresno) we need a chapter of the SCCC (it's a 8 hour round trip) or Stray cats (that a 6 hour round trip) I know of a few cats in our area but no clubs......
Don

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
With respect to the feeling of intimidation, I hope it's just the Cougars and not the members that you feel threatened by. Who cares what your Cougar looks like? sixt9coug brought his 67 that is practically a rolling parts car and had a crowd gather around it. We love Cougars, we love talking about Cougars, don't you?
We want you and your Cougar no matter what the condition to be a part of the club.
A few years back I bought a 67 Xr7GT. I thought I would be hot stuff with this big block cat. I went to my first meeting and guess what? All of the 67-8 Cougar's there all had 390's :( think about it for a second, the big block rare cougars are going to be the one's that people keep and the "standard" Cougars became parts cars for an XR7.
I ended up selling the GT because of the probability I would never finish it, and bought a 67 Standard from a member of the club.

As to the distance issue it's a 60 mile trip for me. There are a couple of Cougars in Riverside County.
I live in Corona and Scott Behncke (428CJ 4 speed) lives in Chino.
It would be hard to create a another Cougar club, mainly because most people would not be interested in a Inland Empire Cougar club, not enough Cougars.
Southern California is a huge area with a lot of classic cars. Cypress is a central meeting area for us because we have a lot of members in the San Fernando Valley which is like 80 miles one way.

You have a "standard" I do too. A rare car in itself, if you think about they are all survivors.
I had the woe is me and my standard attitude for a while until I realized it was a name I could embrace instead of shun. I say I have a 67 Cougar and when people ask if it's a Standard I reply no an automatic.

Not only am I Vice President but I am a member too. or however that ad goes.
Garey Maib

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
There is the Cougar Club of San Diego.Does anyone know anything about them?

Don

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Yeah, at one time they had a big group but over the last couple of years there membership participation has really dropped off.
We have a lot of dual members (SCCC & SDCC)
They have meetings during the week, Thursday's I think. We always travel down to Escondido to their show in September. I think the last show in September will be the last time at Deer Park winery.
Contact Lou Otte @ 619-442-7869

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The membership has come back up a bit. We were never a large club as it's the only "city" club for Cougars per se. And the San Diego area isn't as big as the Los Angeles/So Cal area. We're smaller but we're OK with that!

For more info see:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/frameset.cfm?club=cougarsd

The next meeting is at the Spice House Cafe Oct 16th @ 7PM 9035 Clairmont Mesa Blvd (858) 565-1028.

At the Sept. show Zogman made it there with BOTH of his Cougars! Don, you've got to go to Knotts in April, the Cougar Nationals (June?), the All Mercury Show in August and the SD Show in September. I'm not too sure about Deer Park. They said they were not closing, that it was just a rumor. I would personally like to see the show somewhere cooler near the beach...it can be pretty darned hot up there in Sept.!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Hey Tim,
Thanks for posting that picture. I like it alot. Hope things are well for you.

Z

·
Registered
390 Posts
Tim B said:
Doin great! No complaints. I got my Fab Fords registration in the mail yesterday. I've GOT to remember to renew my San Diego Cougar Club membership! See ya around the So Cal show circuit!
:D I will see you there Tim

·
Registered
224 Posts
rickyz said:
I wish there was a so cal cougar club that wasn't an 80 mile round trip. QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with that. I just wish my cougar could make such a trip. Once my Cat is reliable I will be making the longest trips within my means (money for gas). I can always sleep in the Cougar is a motel room is too much. LOL!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
I have been wishing for a central california cougar club probably in bakersfield. but so far i havent been able to garnish enough intrest form locals. lets face it most people dont want to drive an hor to get to thier meetings after working ll day. I think its just logistics in most cases we have to cover soooo much ground just to get anywhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts