Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ZI got a quote from a new tire/suspension shop for rear wheel wheel bearings.

1st call $880.00 for bearings and a front brake hose. I thought it was high. He calls right back and says it actually is $1060.

He sends over an estimate for FRONT wheel bearings/oil flush/ hose.

I spoke with the appointment desk and told him REAR. At the time of the drop-off I describe the noise coming from the REAR.

He said he could not source several parts, but was able to get front bearing- though I have no indication that they need replacement.

Seems sketchy- quoted $148. for the inspection. I'm thinking I should cut losses?

Any ideas on what REAR wheel bearings on my '73 should run at a shop?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
All parts are easily available to completely rebuild the rear end .. The question is.. is it just a axle bearing or is it internal as in pinion and or carrier bearings that are causing your noise? .. I would find another shop .. quickly..

·
10,973 Posts
A pair of rear wheel bearings is something like $100 including seals and gaskets. Installation is maybe 2 hours if the guy is slow and lazy. What's the other $700 for?

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
could your differential breather tube be plugged? Happened to me and I thought the wheels might be the problem. Whining around 60-70mph.
suspension place noticed that when adding a leaf and fixed it.

·
6,980 Posts
could your differential breather tube be plugged? Happened to me and I thought the wheels might be the problem. Whining around 60-70mph.
suspension place noticed that when adding a leaf and fixed it.
True, breather tubes have a fairly small hole inside. About 0.062".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts