Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm in the process of upgrading my interior (replacing carpet, redying console/armrests, recovering seats, etc); pretty well the whole rip out, clean and replace.

My question is around the sound deadener under the carpet. I still have the original asphalt backed cardboard(?) and I was wondering what other people's experience with replacing their sound deadener? Is is easy to remove the old one and should I go back to OEM (I'm not looking for concourse restoration) or should I look at something a little more modern? like B-Quiet Sound Deadening ? Any other suggestions for suppliers? Or experiences (good or bad :1zhelp: )?

PS I cannot find a repro of the Cougar sound deadener; should I use a mustang and cut to fit?

Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Mustangs Unlimited sells a tar deadener type kit for Cougars. That stuff is pretty heavy. I used the double sided aluminum foil type insulator from Summit. Two rolls did all of the floor and roof.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=TRU-BLIP12406
Double sided is TRU-BLIP12406 27.95 for a 4'x6' roll.
Single sided is TRU-BLIP11406 23.95 for a 4'x6' roll.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
dynamat

I yanked the tar stuff out of my seventy cat years ago and never looked back.
Lots of autosound guys (you know, riceboys with loud radios...) use dynamat on their cars to improve acoustics inside and deaden noise outside. It's good stuff.
I have dynamat on my floors, doors and roof. And over that, I have jute on the floors between the carpet and dynamat.
It works well.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I went with this company:

http://www.insulshield.net/

They cater to the street rod market and I like their stuff. I used their firewall blanket on the firewall, trans tunnel and the front floors. Then I covered everything with their carpet underlayment. It's at least as heavy or even heavier than the stock stuff. But no where near as messy. The only downside I've seen so far is that the stuff is prett thick. I now need to go back and trim my carpet to get it to fit right.

Oh and it comes on rolls. You cut to fit. They are really nice people to deal with on the phone as well.

Mark

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'm going to move to the new stuff and ditch the asphalt!

Regards,
Brian

·
11,000 Posts
Dynamat and the other lightweight acoustic products are actually repackaged aircraft sound deadener material. You can get the same products at most aircraft supply houses cheaper. Part numbers EAR3201 and Y370 are used in the aircraft industry.

I used EAR3201 in place of the asphalt insulation in my Green GTE and also in my yellow XR7-G (now Mark Eaton's). It saves about 20 pounds and is at least as good for sound proofing.

The reproduction cardboard back seat divider is not as good as the original Cougar asphalt trunk divider. You can make a good trunk divider from 90 OZ Acoustifab Lead Vinyl, also available at any good aircraft supply. Here's my favorite:

www.aviall.com

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As always, thanks Royce. You are a plethora of good information and contacts!

Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
390 Posts
Dyna mat is *****in. I also used a heating and air conditioning duct sealer as a good sound atinuation covering. there are many of these products on the market to the hvac contractor. Ask a hvac guy in your area for a 1 gal. bucket or 2 you wont regret using it . You are able yo get it into all the nooks and crannys way better.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
today use the upgraded stuff since it doesnt show. even in concourse judging they wont pull up your carpet and remove your headliner so use todays best products. the OEM stuff waswnt even the best stuff in its day but it was cheap and so was gas so being light wasnt top priority.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts