Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car: '73 XR7 Coupe, 4V-Cleveland, C6, original DSO Black/Black car! Just got it back from paint/body on Friday. The interior, doors and trunk are completely gutted and all surfaces were cleaned of all surface rust, dirt and debris prior to being coated with POR-15 for protection from future rust formation.

I'm looking for experienced feedback/recommendations from those who've done it! :1zhelp:

My questions:
1. What vendor(s) / product(s) did you use?
2. What products did you install on specific areas (roof, floor, firewall, trunk floor, wheel-wells)?
3. What is the best possible thermal/acoustic solution for the firewall/cowl specifically?
4. Which products met/exceeded your expectations? Which didn't?
5. What would you have done differently?
6. How thick a layer of product(s) can I install on the floorpan without affecting how the new carpet lays; and, what kind of carpet do you recommend (regular or mass-backed)?
7. Have you experienced any failures over a period of time (loss of adhesion, product coming off)?

I've researched info from SoundDeadenerShowdown.com, Dynamat.com, SecondSkinAudio.com and QuietRide.com and find myself overwhelmed by the amount of information and differing opinions/recommendations presented. :confused: (I have however, determined that I'm definitely going to use butyl-based CLD products I'm just not sure where to go from there???

All recommendations/guidance is greatly appreciated!!!

Regards to all,

·
Registered
6 Posts
After checking the prices on Dynomat and other simular materials, I ended up using a adhesive buytl insulation matt from Home Depot at about 1/4 the cost. doors floors and firewall.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Glad you found something......must have missed this post somehow.....I used eDead products.....picked it up for around a dollar a foot. Would be interested to see the product you bought from the depot.....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
After checking the prices on Dynomat and other simular materials, I ended up using a adhesive buytl insulation matt from Home Depot at about 1/4 the cost. doors floors and firewall.
Hope it was indeed butyl and not asphalt/tar based!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts