Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and sometimes you lose by winning. I spotted a '67 steering wheel on eBay recently and decided to enter a minimum bid because it was being sold by an established member of this community. The pictures showed cracks in the spokes, but the rim appeared to be in good condition so I didn't really expect to win it. Ultimately, I did win and the wheel arrived a few days ago.

Here is what the seller did NOT show a picture of:

There are two other places around the rim with less severe separation. None were shown in the pictures or mentioned in the description.

I own a piece of this because I didn't ask for the pictures that would have shown that the wheel is essentially junk, so I'm not going to reveal the name of the seller. Suffice to say that, unfortunately, even among a community such as this buyer beware is still a necessary caution.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I don't think you bear any responsibility for that Bill. Omitting a view that would show the wheel to be junk is deceitful unless it was clearly described in the listing. At the very least I would open a dispute for the item not being as described. You will win the dispute.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
What Al said Bill. You are well within your rights to open a dispute, the circles the seller travels in is not relevant to the issue.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
x3 Full disclosure shouldn't be something you have to ask for....nor is it any extra effort.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
You should not have to ask for pictures that show the bad spots. I decent seller will show the deficiencies so that the buyer can be informed. If the seller does not, then I consider it purposeful deceit and submit a claim. If you paid via paypal you got another way to reverse the transaction.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I once had a similiar issue but it was on a AC/Heater core box for a '69. When it came it ... it had holes in it, broken tabs and was shipped leaking coolant. Although I won the dispute ... it did take some time and I had to mail in pictures and send the item back to eBay.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who responded, but I'm not going to open a dispute. While I'm out roughly $65 I wouldn't have spent on a wheel like this, I did get a decent horn center and center pad with the wheel. Besides, my time is too limited these days to spend any of it jumping through dispute hoops. This seller sold off his reputation for $65.00; if he's OK with that, so be it.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
It's certainly your choice to make Bill. However, having made that choice, are you going to protect the seller by not mentioning who he/she is? Would seem odd to do so, but perhaps controversial (as the transaction was/is) to disclose.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's certainly your choice to make Bill. However, having made that choice, are you going to protect the seller by not mentioning who he/she is?
Bob, I figure that this type of seller tends to self-identify over time. I did send him a response through eBay on the 15th letting him know of my dissatisfaction, so he may choose to respond to that at some point. The object of this post was twofold, really. Part one was to vent, I guess. Part two was to remind everyone that, although we may think of ourselves as a community here, that sentiment isn't necessarily universal and people still need to exercise due diligence even when buying from someone whose name they recognize from here.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a 69' steering wheel on Ebay right now, it if fits and helps you, you can have it, just pay the shipping. Sorry you got burned- Joshua

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 69' steering wheel on Ebay right now, it if fits and helps you, you can have it, just pay the shipping. Sorry you got burned- Joshua
Thanks, but the '67 wheel is a one-year-only wheel and I have a '67. I was mostly buying it to have an extra. There's another one up there now and I'll watch that one to see what happens.

·
Registered
389 Posts
FWIW the disputes ive filed (two) have been painless. Both of them Ebay sent me a prepaid shipping label and I just shipped it back to the seller and they refunded all my money, shipping included. no hoops or trouble at all. just about a weeks time.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I sold the steering wheel . People need to to look up the word used = not new . It did have a lot of nice parts . File a claim with ebay buyer always win . SELLERS HAVE NO RIGHTS . Sold a console shipped it to Cailf. arrived damaged asked buyer for pics of damage he never sent them. it was boxed and in a crate ebay gave him a refund [I am out $ 275.00 ] Never has trouble before shipping these . I think he dropped it . Got it back in just a box no crate all broke up . Could not file a claim with shipper because I didnt have pics of damage before he shipped back .ebay had pics of damage but would not send them to me .Still out the money but I have a console in parts . If you wanted a refund just ask first . I have sold parts here before never no problems . When was the last time you wore out a steering wheel ?? Wanted a extra Lots of people buy just to flip it . I do it Mark 248 904 7134

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Hmm. It does sound like Mark should have disclosed the seperation, However it sounds like the horn ring and center pad were worth the $65.
I don't no Mark but I did buy a 68 xr7 dash from him and it came to me very well packed and the parts are super. It was one out of many used parts buys where I was pleasently surprised by the condition and full disclosure of defects.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The horn ring has the beginnings of isolated pitting on it, but it's still a nice one for use on a driver. The pad has the chrome worn off around the accent ring, but the Cougar center is decent, with very minor (and probably buffable) black marks on the cat emblem. That's part of why I elected not to bother with a dispute. However, that's also not what was being sold on eBay. What was being sold was a steering wheel in apparently restorable condition, but what was shipped was a useless wheel with a decent horn pad and center spoke piece.

The wheel wasn't just used. It was junk and that wasn't disclosed. The cracks in the ribs qualify as used because they can be repaired. A crack in the rim qualifies as used because that can be repaired. But the black ring separating from the wood ring in three places is junk; there's no repairing that. If Mark wants to hide behind the word "used" to describe that, then he makes my original point for me - buyer beware; MC.net membership notwithstanding.

Mark also doesn't mention that I sent him an eBay message describing my disappointment. He never responded until his post above. I didn't ask for a refund, but I did make it clear that I wasn't happy with what I got. He could have offered to make it right. He chose not to, either through eBay or here.

It's his choice to identify himself. I wasn't going to do that, but now I also won't tolerate a suggestion that I don't understand what "used" means.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have nothing to hide . I did not respond to your email because my time is too limited these days just back from a vacation & trying to catch back up on things . I post my phone number and no call ?? All the rules are in your favor . ebay always side with the buyer its called buyer protection . I am no expert on steering wheels ?? Not hiding behind the word used . Not happy you have my phone # 248 904 7134 stop your crying and call . Heres what was in the ebay auction . You are bidding on used black steering wheel from a 1967 Cougar.It has cracks on the back side .Has no cracks where you grip the wheel . CHECK MY OTHER AUCTIONS

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Get lost, Mark. I don't need the money as badly as you apparently do. Enjoy it. It's the only money you'll ever get from me and, based on your handling of this situation, probably from a lot of other members here.

·
Registered
431 Posts
All you have to do is call and ask like a man . Not like a cry baby . How can you speak for the other members here ??? I have sold many parts to other members here with no problems . I have gave you my phone number 3 times to resolve this situation ??? and still no call what more do you want me to do ??? . Here tell you what give me your phone number and I will call you I can afford it $$$

1 - 20 of 34 Posts