Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Can someone take 5min and check the angles of your pitman arm and idler arm? (pwr steering or not)

The alignment shop cant get my cat aligned, so I suspect that my manual steering adapter needs to be unthreaded a few turns.

What I need to know is if the idler arm is straight and the pitman arm is straight when the tires are pointed ahead.

Keep in mind that the pitman arm is curved, so you have to look at the 2 studs that hold it on to see if they are in line.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey CrazyCat, I checked on my 67 and the idler arm is "relatively" straight. As for the pitman arm, I couldn't get under the car too well so all I can tell ya is that I could see all of the "boomerang" shape of the arm from above. The base points towards the engine and the tip points towards the shock towers. Hope this helps a bit!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Bruter!

I am trying to understand what you mean about the pitman arm.
If you imagine a line drawn between the two mounting holes in the pitman arm, would it be straight like the idler arm?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yep, I guess that last description was pretty bad:rolleyes: Anyway, had another look from the top at lunch and drew a line from the two mounting holes of the pitman arm. It's not straight...the two holes lined up with the outer edge of the power steering pulley...but then I remembered that you removed the PS. So the best I can do without going under is to say that using a yard stick, the line from the two mounting holes lines up with the radiator support approx. 8 3/4 inches from the center of the first (front-most) bolt of the fender. Boy I wish I had booked my work's digital camera!!! I will try to get a pic to you.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I think its maybe time you tried a new alignment shop. Try to find one where some old timers work that actually know something about a front end other than these new strut front ends without hardly any ajustments to them. mm

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again Bruter. I will check it out tomorrow. The cat is parked in the mother in law's garage. (we are gettin ready to move in 2wks)

Mark,

Do you think I should even bother with unthreading the adapter a bit, and just let the shop screw with it? I was not sure if that was part of a normal alignment.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The best thing I would think to do with the adapter is this, first center your steering box by turning it lock to lock then count the turns back to center. Then measure from the inner tie rod hole on the drag link back to the frame rail on each side. The measurement on each side should be close to the same. If its off you can adjust the adapter to get the drag link centered. Its not that critacal since you done away with the p.s. It is critacal on p.s. cars that its centered or the car will pull to one side or the other.

Like I said I think you need a new alignment shop with someone at least as old as your car to do it. mm

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bruter- thanks for taking the pic. It looks like it is pretty much straight.

mm - Good idea. Thanks for the centering info.

I called an alignment shop that was recommended by a local mustang/cougar resto shop. I will try to drop the cat off next week. I think my pitman arm it a bit off. I'll try to center it on Sat.

I appreciate the help guys.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
**UPDATE**

Whoohoo!

I just picked up the cat from the alignment shop and it tracks straighter than a mofo. THey didnt even touch the steering adapter.

They had no problems with the alignment and had good customer service. Cost 68$ and worth every penny. They monkeys at the first shop I took it to spent all day and couldnt even do it.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hell, you had all new parts, I figured anyone that knew anything at all could align it!! These new cars are the ones that piss me off, nothing really to align they just run that way. Thats why the tire guys want you to rotate the tires every 3000 miles, that way they all wear out at the same time because there not really what I would call in alignment. mm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts