Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need my car working..TODAY, i've been trying all weekend to get it to work. I was driving it to school friday and it quit. I stopped at a light to let someone go and it just cut off. It cranked right back up. I drove another 100 ft and it shut off again except this time i had to coast to the side of the road. I tried to crank it again and it started after a couple times but only for seconds. Now it wont start at all. I turn my key and you here the starter but it wont roll over. I have replace the regulator, solenoid,alternator, and coil. We tested the spark plug wires by sticking a screw driver and in and trust me we had spark. I am getting fuel to the carb also. I even sprayed ether in it and it still wont even try to roll over. What could be the problem?

·
Registered
928 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
How do you define "roll over"? Does it crank and will not start? OR just turn the key and the starter will not crank the engine? Also how was the car acting before it died? No problems before, stumbled i.e. like a misfire during normal driving? Etc.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Put alligator clips on each end of a wire about 3' long. Clip one end to the battery side of the solenoid. Clip the other end to the positive post on the coil. This will "hot wire" the ignition. If there is a problem with the ignition switch or the tach lead, this will bypass everything. Note that the engine will not shut off unless you detach this wire!

I am assuming that when you say roll over that you mean the engine is turning over but not starting?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts