Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've really enjoyed tinkering on the '67 ever since arrival. It is such a nice clean engine bay without smog and AC, and it's originality is fascinating. Unfortunately, a few things were black-painted over, so I have some correcting to do..which brings me to some Qs:

1. Is the hood hinge assembly really supposed to be "bare metal" like in a '68? Mine are pretty black. I know technically they were a combination of bare metal and (I think) the spring a phosphated darker look, correct? Or was the whole assembly phosphated and oiled? I've never heard if there is a definite difference between these from '67 to '68.

2. Are ALL of the bracket/mounting Nuts and Bolts black phosphate?; eg the hood latch bracket, the shock top bracket nuts and shock absorber top bolts?

3. What about the bolts on the cowl end of the shock tower brace? I've seen yellow, clear zinc, and black phosphate..

4. Hood latch "handle" bolts. Are they black or clear? Amazingly, my hood latch dowell is still covered pretty well with Yellow Zinc. But the handle and bolts are pretty rusty..

5. Shock tower bolts(the ones that connect it to the side aprons) black phosphate, correct? (mine are covered with black paint, need to take them off and refinish)

6. Down on the 7 "Bars" on the rear of the rockers- are those screws black or chrome/stainless? I love the new sets WCCC has available, but mine are pretty shiny and clean, save the black interior almost all worn off (actually, the entire things shiny are pretty cool lookin') and the screws that appear original and fit well are pretty much black. I just wanted to know what is correct/original

7. Is the master cylinder lid a bare metal/phosphated look originally? Mine is in nice condition and appears to be bare metal but treated dark. And a red decal is supposed to be on it, right?

8. Where do the Autolite Spark plug decal and the "use Fomoco Parts" decal go? I assume from the curveature of the Plug wire decal that it goes on the air cleaner lid, and I think the Fomoco Parts one goes on the air cleaner body somewhere?

Thanks for any and all comments! That's all I have for now ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Brian,
I think you are correct about the master cyl lid. I looked for a photo but could not find it here at work. I think the decal is a teardrop shape with red letters and outline on a white background. I don't remember what it says though. Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts