Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I don't know if you guys remember me or not, but anyways, I didn't get that cougar. We did talk the guy down to 7500...or 8, I can't remember, but my mom started to second guess the car because she didn't trust an older car and she thought I would always be trying to fix the thing. Well, since she was consigning on the loan, I was SOL to say the least :)

Anyways, my question is, do you guys have major problmes with the cars? Is there a good way to alleviate her fears about older cars and their reliability?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
still see plenty of older American cars

dont see any old jap crap.
Buy American

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The best way to alleviate a concerned parents fears would be to have the owner take the car, at your cost, to a mechanic you trust and have him inspect it top to bottom.

If your mechanic gives it a green light, then that should be enough for your mom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yea

That problem is that my mother didn't go crazy about it until we talked to our mechanic about doing an inspection on the car for us, lol.

Now, I talked to him personally a little while ago, and he said that the Cougar they were selling was no good, thats what he thought personally. So Kudos to him. But he said that older cars in general weren't that good, as he had three himself and felt they weren't worth the hassle. He cited specifics like brakes, frames going bad, just general rust, etc

·
Registered
519 Posts
There's some truth to what your mechanic says yet he sounds a little biased. The Volvo dude who services my wifes Volvo went ape sh*t over my Cougar.

You might want to consider talking to other mechanics, maybe someone who specializes in classic Fords. :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
saftey first

I can understand what your mom says.If this is your first car safety is a BIG concern,I just pt my daughter in a 1991 camaro.I had a hand in buying the car.(HEY LOGAN)it was from TEXAS.SA long as it has the brakes,seatbelts tires and over all good condition.It will be a great lerning experiance if you want to work on it.If she still dosnt go for the idea,rent her The Fast And Furious then tell her you want a Honda. Dan P.S. Good Luck Been there done that..:1poke:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts