Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

I've been lurking here for a while, gradually working on a rotisserie restoration of my 68 GT. This was originally a C6 car, but it will be a 4 speed when it is done.

Aside from the transmission, and a few concessions to better materials (like the undercoating), I'm trying to put her back as original as possible. The underside is about done - I'm wrapping up the suspension right now, thanks to some help from the good folks at West Coast Classic Cougars.

I have a few detail questions that I can't seem to answer with an online search, and I am hoping that some of you here (maybe with build sheets?) might be able to help.

On to the questions:

1. Can anyone confirm that the correct driveshaft color codes for a 68 390 were black-pink-yellow?

2. What were the correct color codes/stripes on the leaf springs? There are no traces remaining on my car, but I have seen two other 68 GTs - one with a single white, the other with two orange stripes, but I don't know if either of those is even correct.

3. The correct bellhousing for this application was iron instead of aluminum, and therefore subject to rusting. I have seen samples painted blue, black, and with no paint. Paint ranged from solid color to what might have been simple overspray. Did Mercury paint these originally, and if so, what is correct?

Finally, has anyone had any experience with re-arching and/or powdercoating leaf springs, and what are your thoughts on the subject?

This site has been a wonderful resource. It is nice to have a place like this where we can discuss our common obsession(s). I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone can help with the above.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Leaf Springs should be raw metal so I do not think I would powder coat them. Clear coat over the raw look would be a better. Reach out to Jim Pinkerton or Royce Peterson to see if they have the concourse judging sheets may be of some help in regards to the color codes

Chris

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I know most of us paint the underneath our cars black, but I believe that it actually suppose to red oxide primer. usually with a bunch of rubberized undercoating applied at the dealer.

What you have done looks great. but if your going to all the trouble to paint the stripes back on the driveshaft etc etc.. then I thought I'd mention it to you. But I'm a bit of a novice ask Royce and Jim to make sure.

Dwight

1 - 4 of 4 Posts