Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check these out..all from Sandy the J..

I found numerous original perfectly clean screws under the back seat..no build sheet, but these pics show some of the color and seam sealer and foam that is perfectly preserved!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Brian, After looking at these pictures and also in the trunk of my 68 I am wondering. First what I will replace this sealer and the undercoating in the wheel wells with, second it looks like the sealer and trunk wells were sprayed with sealer besides the seams and then painted after they were sprayed? Does that make sense to everyone else?

·
11,000 Posts
If you look close the sealer has paint sprayed over it.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Yup, some of the sealer in my trunk is very coarse, almost like undercoating? Wasn't exactly applied all that uniform either. Trying to duplicate it will be fun. Been taking a lot of pictures as I go. Curious when I remove my seats if they will look that good. Will let yall know when I get toem.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, some of the sealer in my trunk is very coarse, almost like undercoating? Wasn't exactly applied all that uniform either. Trying to duplicate it will be fun. Been taking a lot of pictures as I go. Curious when I remove my seats if they will look that good. Will let yall know when I get toem.
Harvey,

I'll tell ya a little secret..seam sealer is a bit overrated and easy to "overthink".. especially If you're building a concours car, it will be good to have it in the conspicuous places, but then again, there are very few of those on the car. And if you get your car blasted, a lot of the seam-sealer is not going to come off. You don't have to sweat it as much as you might think.. My Red GT-E had hardly any seam sealer re-applied..it is very very tough to blast out of the grooves, so there isn't really all that much need to remove it , especially if you don't have any major rust issues. If you're building a driver, of course you want to make sure the body is tight, though. But it isn't all that visible and you won't be "judged" that much on how you applied it. The sidewalls of the trunk are do in fact have a lot of "soundproofing" applied to them, and the paint is then sprayed over the top of it. Use heavy dosage of undercoating(rubberized, available everywhere) and make it a bit of a "patch" in the middle area especially of the sides, and drop some down into the lower fender area too. Then do the overspray/paint on it.

Overall, I just wanted to tell ya, I sweated this stuff a lot for no reason ;) Eastwood.com is your friend if you want paintbrush-applicable seam sealer, though..

PS I've got to take a pic of a really cool area in Sandy's trunk side. There is a full handprint of the sound deadener one one side where an installer at the factory pushed on it in order to apply the "Cougar" emblem on the rear quarter. The paint is applied over the top of it. But I could take CSI type fingerprints off of it, I swear!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Just leave the original seal sealer in place while blasting the body unless you have rust issues to deal with.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm just curious, you wanted a survivor that was a turn key car so you could drive it. So why exactly are you taking it apart?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I would really love to give you a smart answer, Not sure right now I can. All the rubber, anything rubber is dried out, brittle and cracked. Front and rear engine seal leak a little and tranny seals are bad. Gas tank had some rust in it. Car is nice but, I want it nicer. Owning this car was a dream for a long time, I dreamed of working on it as on a 68 you can work on it. Since I am going to replace and rebuild anything with rubber, and since a little of the paint was worn through, either by a car cover or some ones arm? I want to really freshen up the paint. Well why not go a little further, like half way around the world and correct what little is left back to factory fresh?! I don't know, Since I don't have to drive it, and I enjoy working on things, and I want this cat as pretty as can be, I really don't know why? and I rekon Cause I can isn't a logical answer. I just don't feel like going half way? For the fun of it? I believe the survivor status to have been lost due to Golden Classics spray painting the underside? I Don't Know Any Better? and mostly cause my wife is letting me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts