Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, 67 cougar just got done installing motor back in anyways. When I hooked everything back up then I turn the key and it cranks and dont stop cranking If I switch the I and S wires It dose nothing. I changed the solenoid but still same problem..The starter wire goes on the starter post alone and the rest go to the bat side and them you have the I and S wires correct cant see how im wiring it wrong any clue. Thanks Ron

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ron, sounds like the problem might be in the ign. switch not returning to run from start.
Have you tried to pull the S wire off while it is still cranking, and if it quits, then it's in the ign. switch

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still cranks with or with out S wire/red blue stripe the Ing wire is brown...I can turn the key on then when I touch the Ign/I wire to the solenoid It cranks seems like the S/red blue stripe dont do anything.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Solenoid mechanically sticking is my guess (even though you changed it). The solenoid may or may not actually be bad. When this happens, bang on the solenoid (I usually use my fist) and see if it releases. If this works, look for a low battery. On these cars I notice when the battery gets low you can end up with a condition where the solenoid will not release and sometimes the starter will continue to crank even with the key removed from the car! Isabel has done this once or twice before I found and fixed 4 out of 6 alternator diodes leads broken/disconnected.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, if that's not it Ron - start looking into the starter itself. I had the same problem with mine (stock one) and it was hanging up because the spacing was incorrect. There are some differences in the nose depth of some starters depending on application (Manual trans Vs auto and some HD trans I think). What happens is the gear goes in to far and can't retract. I got a shim for that from the "Help" section at the parts store. Could have been same thing Bob says on low voltage condition adding to it, but once the shim went in there - the problem cleared up. (Now I have a high torque ceramic magnet one in there and it didn't need the shim)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Can you still buy just the bendix to the starter? I know the springs use to go bad on them and they would not retract after engaging. Used to be a simple change.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info im going out to give it hell this morning..Drives me crazy when **** like this happens.. It worked before I took the car apart lol I will update later today

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't think it's the starter or relay, I think there are some wires crossed. Good luck

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Almost seems like it but aint but 2 wires I and S and I didnt do any work under the dash. Im going to take a time out today start fresh tomorrow I did paint the engine bay could a bad ground on the solenoid or volt reg ect?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Towcat.. damn close broke wire some place its hot at the switch dead at the solenoid ran a temp wire for now. I have other problems to deal with lol cant get the timing correct just back fires. could be a number of things like the chevy hei dis I have in there I remember it giving me trouble when I first got it but I cant seem to get it this time prolly need a nother thread for this mess lol. Thanks Ron

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Maybe your cat's rejecting the bowtie parts! :>) A good dose of antibiotics oughta help! What caused your "open" I wonder,...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Mike, Thats what I was thinking lol...I must of broke the Ign I wire when I upgraded my head lights and probe motors I put new wire loom on every thing and painted the engine bay. I even managed to straighten the grilles some then I had them off clapped them to the bench and headed them up came out pretty good.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Towcat.. damn close broke wire some place its hot at the switch dead at the solenoid ran a temp wire for now. I have other problems to deal with lol cant get the timing correct just back fires. could be a number of things like the chevy hei dis I have in there I remember it giving me trouble when I first got it but I cant seem to get it this time prolly need a nother thread for this mess lol. Thanks Ron
Thinking some plug wires are not in their right positions per the firing order?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I think its in the firing order here is what I been doing TDC the drop the dis in and point the rotor button to #1 piston. Here is the thing the GM cap has the spot where you plug ign ect in so from the left side of that I use post 3 as #1 I have moved them frwd and back one thinking maybe one off. Plus I have pointed the rotor to the number one on the cap still no change I will play around with it tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts