Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant believe this finally happened.

29 years ago i sold my dark ivy 69 s code, c6 automatic convert to buy a diamond ring for my bride. I had always looked at the chicago tribune under collector cars to see if it would be for sale. It never appeared, the internet came along and i even posted messages on mcc.net

8 years ago i decided to restore another 69 in the exact colors of my original. I found a car in texas that was rustfree and had not been driven in over 18 years. I bought it stipped it down, replaced the motor, wheels, interior and top to match my original. I love the car but it was just not the same.

While looking on craigslist last night i saw an ad for an 69 s code convert. I called and the person was listing it for a friend. Everything seemed right except the color which is now blue. I asked about no console and 69 mach 1 wheels that were installed prior to the 77 restoration. That was a match. The seller said that it was originally a green car. I asked if i could see it this evening and it was one of the longest afternoons i have had.

I met the owner and we discussed my original car and my thoughts this is the one. He had bought the car 10 years ago from a man that just had it painted the blue.

As the garage door open i had this wierd feeling. The new chrome, the mach 1 wheels the fresh looking chrome even 35 years old looked so familiar. I looked at the interior and the light ivy interior was as it had when i sold it. The aftermarket speaker grills were still in the door, the radio bezel slightly opened up for the cassette and the holes in engine bay where i installed water injection when unleaded fuel came out were still there.

I felt 99.9999% this was it but remembered one last flaw. While putting the convertible top down one day something odd happened and the handle ended up with a big gouge and bent. I went over, peeled back the tonneau, grabbed the handle and ......this was it. The top i replaced in 1980 also still on and looks great. It has been well preserved over the years so i am quite lucky.

The previous owner was so excited also. When the car started the nice big block stock exhaust sounds like a symphony. We want for a drive and it rides just like i remember. Still has the power also.

We reached a deal and my plans are to paint it prior to next summer dark ivy, put back radial t/a's that i sold it with and detail the engine bay. I

i know have to think of another color for my other 69. Maybe the light silver jade.

Pics to follow!

Oh happy day!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Congratulations!!!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - YOGI thats awesome! It's a small world for sure....congrats!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wow the luck of finding a past owned car great effort in staying with the hunt . Good will to bringing it back to when you had it , just amazing .

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Awesome story. I wish I could find my first Cougar that my parents bought new. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
That is very cool. My first cougar my folks sold for 300 dollars to my neighbor who drove it into the ground and trashed it. Was no use looking for what was left :( I am happy with the one I am working on and am getting attached so to say but it really will never be the same. I think I wanted the cougar back more for the memories that I have of the things I did in it than for the car?

·
Registered
505 Posts
That is way cool. It must be like finding an old friend that you haven't seen in years. The reality will likely be ... it'll never leave your side again. There is nothing like the bond between a cat and its owner.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Amazing you remember the details down to the messed up handle. There was no way to maintain a poker face on this one! Congrats!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
No Pics yet....? ;>)

·
Registered
784 Posts
I love stories like these, partially because I have one of my own. Congrats on finding your baby!!!!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Friends, thank you for the replies! Pics to follow. I am gathering some of the pics I have from 1971 to share with the previous owner. I will post these and also the current pics! My wife is not a car girl. When I had this convert in the day, she never wanted the top down and when she did the few times she wanted all the windows up. She has only rode in my current 1969 once and never in the 1970(s).

I must share with you all my S code was my first true love this coming before first dates. I love the car even more now and will never part with her.

More to come friends! YOGI

·
Registered
336 Posts
wow, I did a search for my cars from 70's to 80's that I had owned and none of 'em are still on the road, well none of 'em have the same rego plates on 'em. Most cars keep their plates here in NZ, unless they get personalised plates, which is possible, couple of 'em were Jap turbos and a rotary, which is the one that is quite sort after, being one of the first RX2s in the country. But I've no idea where any of them are now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts