Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if I need to replace the steering box on my 68! Seems it has a little play in it! But would like to see about adding some grease to it and adjusting it first! Any tips?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
No filler plug. You have to loosen the top and swing it around in order to put any grease in it. Not sure if that can be done in the car though.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Heres what you do... Unlock the adjustment screw, keep track of where it was by counting the turns outward. Pump about 7 ounces of 90 wt gear oil down the hole and then put your screw back in the same amount of turns plus a 1/4 turn. If it still has some play go another 1/4 turn. If your box is not cured with this procedure you need a rebuild. From the factory your box had 7 oz of grease, putting too much on top of it can ruin your box as the bearings can actually be forced from their seat. The 90 wt. will soften up the unknown amount of remaining grease and will damage nothing. In time gravity will send a small amount of this 90 wt out the bottom of the box and may / will get seepage. If your car looks like my drivers it will blend right in...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so I did that and took it for a drive and it seemed much better! Then moved the car back in the garage a few hours later and the same amount of lube that I added is now all over the drive way! So looks like time to rebuild

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Sounds like your seal is worse off then some. Don't minimize what you have accomplished, your box feels better and you have lubricated it to curb further wear. Maybe you can do it again soon and use you grease gun to put a couple of ounces of grease back into circulation. Just control the "more is better urge" when pumping grease into it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Don! I have filled it back up with a grease gun! And will see if it hangs in there? When it comes time for a new one Ill be sure and get it from west coast classic cougars!! Thanks again Don

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I started with the wheel to the right and the to the left! I will try and top it off again after I drive it again!

·
Registered
257 Posts
The advice on this webpage is a good bit different than Don's advice. Take a look.

http://www.stangerssite.com/lubrication.html

I did this today. It is CLEAR when you pull the fill plug out that the grease in the box is the same as the black MOLY-LUBE that I got at Napa... my box took about 3/4 of a stick of grease. Feels WAY better now... it still has some play in it, but nowhere near what it had before, and the bump steer is almost gone! Thanks for the link!! :wave:

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I tried the method of filling at the vent cap with a grease gun too this week. It is in fact easier than screwing the lid off as one can easily loose track of how many turns it took to remove it. I took a vent from another old box and sacrificed it by drilling and tapping for a grease Zerk. Pumped about 10 pumps of grease into it, put the original vent cap back on and then adjusted the screw in one half turn. My box now has no play in it, is smooth and does not feel too tight at the wheel. Will report back after I drive it 500 miles or so, right now I have only put on about 30 miles. One thing I did find... My two piece 69 steering shaft inside the column has play in it! Not a tilt either... Who thinks to check that! Will have to pull the column to fix that one... My builder insists you can "unseat" the bearings by doing it as described on the Stanger site but it seems the results might just outweigh the remote possibility of damaging an already ailing box? I think I will try this on a few more cars and purposely fill the box so full of grease it will want to ooze out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts