Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question came up on another board which I am a member of. It was very interesting to find out what members do for a living and to see how many people are not employed in the car business. I'll start.

I was a technician at a Nissan dealer, then service writer, then asst service manager. At 27 I quit and went back to school full time to finish my bachelors. Perfect time to do it since I was single with no kids at that time. This is when I moved to Florida.
After finishing my degree, I ended up as warranty adminsitrator at an Auto Mall. Three years of that and then went to work for Enterprise Rent-a-car as Regional Repair Manager.
I oversee all repairs, body and mechanical, for a fleet of about 4000 cars in the greater Miami area. Been there 5 years now.

The car business is like a rubber band, You try to leave and it just reels you back!! LOL :lol2:

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Guess i'll go next i work in a print shop been there 15 yrs right after high school i run a 28x40 inch press, thats the size sheet it prints, i print everything from posters, books, magazines,to the little plastic tag that sticks in the dirt when you buy your wife/girlfriend that special plant or flower not a glorious job but it does pay the bills.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
im a 20 year old punk kid, i worked at Sears and got fired ( lost my tool discounts too dammit :angryfi: ) then i worked at Mervyns, got laid off. that was in September and ive been out of work since. i go to school pretty much full time ( registered in 13 units but i go to about 22 units worth of classes ) all of them are body work classes. i wanted other classes, but the registration at school didnt like me this semester so i kept getting booted over and over from the classes. i may go into the collision repair field. i dont know yet. i do like it, but there are other parts of the industry that i think i might do better in.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I work in the DSL department at Earthlink.

Slightly glorified version of tech support.

I am also a 20 y/o punk kid :)

Never actually was into cars at all in the past, this Cougar is my gateway :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm a 25 year old project engineer (BS in mechanical engineering) from NASA down here in Houston. I've always been into cars. My wife says all I think about is sex and cars. Ha, I guess she would know. I also drive a 71 short wheel base F100 w/ a 460, PS and PB. Love that truck.

Austin

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have a glorified title also "Chief Maintenance Engineer" , that means I am the head of maintenance at a Holiday Inn. I have had quite a few jobs over the years but this one I have had the longest (12 yrs) I started out as a dishwasher back in 1976 and have had jobs working on cars, forklifts. dies, painting vans, making spa's, midas, tire america....man I have had a lot of jobs....lol
John
p.s. here's a link to where I work(I made a page) http://us.geocities.com/wvhotel/index.html

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I'm a 29 year old Oracle Database Administrator. Moved to Texas from Montreal, Canada 3 years ago due to the sucky economy north of the border. Canada simply can't support my need for the bling bling. The 52% tax rate didn't help any either.

I've worked for Dynamex, a International Sameday Courier company (www.dynamex.com) for the past 8 years holding many different hats, Dispatcher, Operations Manager, Branch Manager and then a myriad of titles in the Informations Systems side of our company.

When I'm not administering databases, I work on and race in my Cougar and SVT Lightning out at the local tracks. The car bug bit me in High School and has been with me ever since.

Oh yeah, I also put together this site which is almost 18 months old now...

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Currently Program Director with multinational IT services company based out of Texas - means I get to fix all the broken projects and visit exotic places like downtown Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Singapore, KL and other similar places.

Started as an accountant and been doing the IT thing at corporate and project management level for last 30 years.

Could name most of the cars on the road by age 5, had my first car at 14, race and rally team by 20 and now I'm trying to figure out how to get enough space to support my Cougar habit. Prefer to do restorations with a check book.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Prefer to do restorations with a check book. [/B]

he he he, ok i take checks

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm a 25 year old photographer and filmmaker here in nyc. My dad was a race car driver and engineer for peugot when we lived in france, and then I grew up next to a race track in jersey, so I have a natural love for cars. I also drive a hooked up 89 Ford Bronco XLT with a modified 302.

www.altpick.com/ammautemps

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Well, I'm kind of and old fart, I'm 49. At this time I'm self employed with the states help(unemployment) I worked for Boeing at the Everett plant. I installed interers in 747-400. Mostly the uper deck state room. Man are those airplanes BIG. Make a 60 Cadie look like a ant. I worked construction for many years, mostly finish stuff in houses. I've always loved cars and worked on them sence I was in high school. I bought my first Cougar in 1975 and have gone crasy every sence. (had over 28 now) I curently have 4 and my son has 1. Neal.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I am 25. For the past 6 years, I have worked for a major electronics retailer. 3 Years as a sales and installation manager for car audio and security, and 3+ years as a service tech for maintaing many types of systems that the store needs to do business. (at 5 stores)
I work on the burglar alarm system for store building, phone system and wireing, LAN systems, Data processing, display switching systems, RF systems, CCTV, and cable pulls for each system.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm a 34 year old Graphic Designer/Illustrator in Portland, Oregon. I've been doing the design thing professionaly since '97 and my focus is primarily Internet content. Maybe someday I'll get lucky and find myself in the automotive industry doing design and illustration.

I consider myself a certified 'car nut' and the Cougar is my first classic car. I grew up Chevy (parents always had'em. Camaros, Corvettes, etc...) but I'm now a Ford guy and hope one day to own a 1965 to 1969 Mustang Fastback. :)

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
now a Ford guy and hope one day to own a 1965 to 1969 Mustang Fastback.

Why when there are so many other Ford options

67 XR7 GT, 68 GTE, 68 XR7G; 69 Eliminator; 69 XR7 Convertible 428 CJ; 70 CJ Eliminator; 71 429CJ Convertible ... only a small collection

and then you could always take the top of a 67 Mustang fastback and put it on a 68 XR7 and make 68 XR7 FB or make a 69 Mach 1 XR7 .... oh the endless list only stiffled by bank manager, wife and lack of space :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
screw that, just make a 67 or 68 GTE convt :D

·
Contributing Member
11 Posts
Hi Guys, just thought I would join the fun,

I am 30 yrs old and started off as an Electronics Tech. ( TV / Audio etc.).
I have always been involved in the Auto. industry ( Dad is an Auto. electrician), so 9 years ago the car bug inside me took over and I got myself a job, diagnosing and repairing Automotive Electronic components, eg. EFI Control Units, ABS Control Units, Instrument Clusters etc. both on the bench and on vehicles.

4 Years ago I started working at Robert BOSCH (Australia),
in the Automotive Electronics Manufacturing Dept. as a Production Line Tech, then a Process Engineer and currently I am working as a Technical Officer in our Automotive Technical Support Dept.

Sorry to bore most of you with details but I thought some might find it interesting,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why not...

I'm 23 years old, and I'm a software architect for AFLAC insurance company (starting today actually, woohoo) and I was previously employed for 6 years at TSYS, the second largest credit card processor in the world, architecting and developing call center applications, internet banking applications, etc. I've did real-time web based credit card applications for place such as Nordstrom, Aria, Wells Fargo, etc. This new job should prove interesting.

I grew up around muscle cars as my brothers and my uncle in particular always had Cougars, GTO's, Hemi Cuda's, etc around. I'm still looking for my first Cougar/classic car, but I'm definitely bitten. Whatever I get will be my daily driver. My wife, like another gentlemen here, says all I think about is sex and cars...and the problem is????

Shannon

·
Contributing Member
11 Posts
Hey Leon, the only problem with that is that Bosch doesn't manufacture any off the shelf aftermarket programmable EFI systems, but trust me, I am looking.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts