Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.......................

I coach a local High School Bolwing Team two days a week. We have six tournaments, spaced out every other weekend.

HS bowling practice was Tuesday (5-3-11) afternoon and then payout meeting for my adult League.

Well, we finished up practice about 5:15 and all my bowliers slowly trickled out the doors of the alley. I was yacking with an adult bowler when Ryland, one of the HS bolwers, stuck his head in the door and said, "Hey coach, can you come outside for a minute?"

I went outside and he was leaning on the open window of his truck with his head laying on his arms, next to my 69 XR7 Vert. "I can't believe I hit your car" he said as he shook his head. "I wasn't paying attention and hit it".

The Cat is backed into a spot by the building. I looked over and the passenger side door is caved in from front to rear. I had left the top down, but I never rolled the passenger side window down. Window is intact, rear quarter and front fender untouched. Looked inside and it all looks normal. Tried to open the door, but it won't completely unlock, the rod is hung up.

He was backing out from the spot beside me, cranked his wheels and hooked the Cat with the front bumper of his Ranger PU. There is a spot of green paint on the corner of his bumper.

I told him it would be okay. It is just the door. No glass, no fender, no quarter. He said he would take care of it, would pay to get it fixed. I told him it will be fine. It's an easy fix, just needs a new door shell. Just calm down and go on home. He got in his truck and headed home.

I was surprisingly calm. Guess that comes with age.

I took a few pictures and headed back in for my league meeting. Got our pay-outs, split the money up and everyone headed home.

I pulled the Cougar in the garage and went to work. Found the double suction cup puller and tried to get the dent to "pop" out, but it is creased in 2 spots. Got the nut driver and phillips screw driver and went thru the drivers side. Got the speaker cover and arm rest off.

Got out and found the wide scraper and went to the door. Tried to unlock it and it actually released. Pushed the door handle and it popped open. Door will only open a few inches, it is catching on the front fender. Carefully popped the door panel loose and pulled it out of the car. Used the scraper to get the front of the door to go past the fender and got it opened all the way.

Removed the inner door cover and looked inside. Can see the creases and that he managed to miss everything inside the door. Grabbed a BFH and an old axe handle and went to work on the dent. I positioned the handle in strategic spots and slammed it hard with the hammer. After a half an hour I had the major part of the dent pushed back out. Spent a little more time working to get it fairly straight and had to use a couple of bodywork anvils to work out a couple of bumps from the hitting. Doors opens and closes nicely.

Wiped the excess dirt and loose paint off of the spots on the door. Pulled the flaked off inner coating out of the bottom of the door. Used a can of dark gray primer to cover the bare metal sopts on the door. Let the primer dry and used an Abralon 4000 pad to remove the overspray.

Put the inner cover and door panel back on. Got the arm rest and speaker cover back on. Closed the door and it looks okay for now. Rolled the back window up and put the top up on the car.

I have found a replacement door (actually a pair) for a decent price. Complete doors in good shape with hinges and power windows (mine are manual). Awaitng pictures before I finalize the deal.

Since this Cat is my driver, I am going to use these doors to "upgrade" the front windows to power. Might have to make my own swiches, but that is oky, too.

Go figure......it was sitting in a parking lot when it got hit!

Door 001.jpg
Before

Door 021.jpg
After....for now

Mike

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yikes! That is quite a dent..... good thing you have some skills & tools and were able to temporarily fix it. Hope the new doors work out. That's the good thing about having a "driver"... it's not the end of the world if something like this happens.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Ouch... but definetly a big relief that he didn't get the quarter panel.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Wow, I know I have mellowed with age but that would have made me sick. Literally! I am learning so much so far through this restoration and am trying to get as close to factory as I can. I do want to drive it when done but not as a daily driver. Hopefully some days I will have the skills to work on body stuff. You have a great attitude and I am sure the car will look untouched soon.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Sounds like you did the right thing, valued the kid more than the car. He will not forget that... I would strongly advise not doing power windows, 69 was the first year and they did everything wrong! In addition 69was glue in glass, the combo is frightening!

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Wow, big dent for a parking mishap.

Your reaction is something else, I hope to be (god forbid...) half as calm if it happened.
I'sure I would have locked myself in a room, and had an intimate relationship between my forehead and a door frame... before saying anything

Jean

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So,

Will the 69 power window regulators work with 70 bolt-in glass?

I have 70 bolt-in door glass and brackets. I would just need 70 rear vert quarter glass (or 70 Mustang coupe quarter glass) to complete the changeover.

Power windows (up front) would complete the top down/windows down without moving from the seat operation sweet!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...Power windows (up front) would complete the top down/windows down without moving from the seat operation sweet!

You forgot the weekly repairs part. Sweet?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Bless you man, your reaction to a non-life ending mishap was awesome. I have a friend who lives in Alabama where those terrible storms hit last week. He lost his garage, 5 cars and a motorcycle. I spoke to him on the phone shortly after it happened. Hearing his firsthand account of what he went thru and then seeing the news reports and pictures makes you wonder how no one was seriously hurt considering everything was completely leveled. At the end of the day, they are only cars that can be replaced and nothing is more important than the people who make up our families and our friends. Take care.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Kudos on your reaction to the boy's mishap. I've "worked" with kids for..... good Lord, it's been 25 years now. Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts (two daughters before the son was born); FFA/4H (all three of my kids), Sons of The American Legion, ahhh (trying to remember)..... Little League, Pop Warner; pretty much anything except golf (I hate golf)! It's been my pleasure to note that kids who get involved in this kind of activity seem to have "more on the ball" than the ones who sit at home playing Wee or Nintendo or whatever. A kid that goes out for bowling? Wow, now that's hardcore "old school". Your reaction was probably the best thing that's happened to this guy in the last couple of years!

Me being me with my attitudes; I'd take it one step further and ask if he'd like to help installing the new doors. Two good things could/would happen:

1.) He'd take ownership in making the car right again. I'm pretty sure he'd appreciate that, from the sounds of his reaction to the accident.

2.) Hey, most of our Cougar-fixated membership isn't getting any younger.... "Still kids" but we're aging at the normal (too fast) rate. You might help generate some more "new blood"! That can't be bad.....

(And when it comes time to pull the engine, and you're feeling a little too "creakey" to flop down under the car and loosen lines and mount bolts; a phone call will just improve on points one and two, while you don't hurt yourself!) :smoke:

Just sayin'

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
x2 on the flesh wound - easy enough fix. If you had just dropped 10K on a paint job the day before it might have been different.

I wonder if the wiring harness already supports P/W? Maybe all you need is the pig tails and a little extra hole or 2? Don should be able to hook you up if that's the case no? I would think that todays adhesives are way better than 40 years ago...you should be able to come out pretty well if you work carfeful and get the alignment right.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
If the factory power windows don't work out for you, but you are still itching for the power stuff, the bolt-in Electric Life power window kits are awesome.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turns out the door doesn't have power windows afterall. That is cool, too. Still looking at doors, trying to get the best I can at a good price.

I think I will do the 70 glass swap. I have 70 Bolt-in Sun-X door glass and regulators. Just need 70 Sun-X Vert quarter glass.

I can think about Electric Life power windows at later date.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts