Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several Weeks ago The Classic Cougar Network site went off line. The fact that this was never noted by any of the posters on this site tells me that either many of you were unaware of its existence, or simply did not frequent the site. I am sure that those of you that knew of the site will appreciate what a loss this is for the hobby. Those that never saw the site would be astonished at what they missed.

We owe a debt of gratitude to the original group of volunteers that produced the site and to Steve E who hosted maintained and created much of the material. Steve continued to host the site, even updating it periodically, for several years even after his interest in the hobby had waned. Thanks Steve!

There were a few elements of the site that will go forward, (again, thanks Steve!) Those elements are the registry pages for the XR7-G, GT-E, and Eliminator. These registries will be found on a new site currently under construction. That site will be www.mercurycougarregistry.com It will take some time to get things sorted out and up and running, but when complete the new site will be available to all of the special registries as well as the master registry supported by the CCOA.

The new site is hosted and supported by ClassicCougarCommunity.Com.

The first of the new sites is up http://gte.mercurycougarregistry.com/

For the sake of continuity, the other registries are being temporarily hosted in sub-domains of classiccougarcommunity.com while the updated versions are being developed. Those addresses are, for now:

http://eliminator.classiccougarcommunity.com/

http://xr7g.classiccougarcommunity.com/

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I didn't get there frequently, but I have used it in the past. Sorry to see that it has been taken down.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Good work Bill.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Another lesson that gets missed so often bill is that we shouldn't be hoarding info about our stuff. :) This isn't directed at any group or site but sometimes people are so sensitive about who posts what, where and how it is presented that the bigger issue of potentially losing critical pieces of history about these cars forever is lost..

In the case of TCCN was any information offered to anyone or any site prior to shutting down the site? Not saying there is a right to information that took years to accumulate but it is a real shame that all of the efforts and hard work from the contributors to that site got thrown to the winds :/

Hopefully someone, maybe your self, that is able to talk to folks better than me can make some headway to find a home for those old archives.

I agree though Bill, peopel can't take stuff for granted :)

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the very beginning, TCCN was a subscription site (1998?). At that time the site was publishing monthly. I was one of the first attempts at an online magazine that I am aware of. Ultimately, the work load was just too much for a volunteer crew and the publication ceased. At that time the subscription fee was dropped, and it became a free site. Over time some of the information became outdated and website technology continued to advance. Steve did a complete update of the site and it was known as TCCN II, and then about a year or so ago he started to make one last effort to update it again, to create TCCN III. I will leave it to others to try to explain exactly what all was there, but suffice to say that I don't think it will ever be matched.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as the facts go, the information is still here for us, in all of the same places it was originally... Now assembling those facts into something entertaining and educational, is where the big task comes in. Maybe when Steve see's how we are handling the Registries, he might be willing to expand what we can put up. But if he never gives us another thing at all, he has already given more than any one could ever ask.

Just over a year ago we kicked off the new forums at ClassicCougarCommunity.Com. Since then, I have noticed that when I post things here the response is, at best, muted. I think I understand why. People are concerned. They don't want to see a good thing go bad. I get it. The loss of TCCN is to me, a perfect example of just what is at stake.

They say that the best time to plant an Oak tree is 100 years ago, and the second best time is today. So it seems to me like we better do some planting, right now. Those old trees don't live forever.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
I just remember back when he (Steve) started the site how many mistakes he had and he snapped when told there were errors in his data. So goodbye. And glad to see it's shut down. Sad to see that others' contributions may be gone but Steve's can go in the trash in my opinion.

Didn't we have this discussion a few years ago on here?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dfwcatsclub: I just remember back when he (Steve) started the site how many mistakes he had and he snapped when told there were errors in his data. So goodbye. And glad to see it's shut down. Sad to see that others' contributions may be gone but Steve's can go in the trash in my opinion.
And we wonder why more people don't volunteer... Steve constantly reworked the site, completely overhauling it several times, and updating things as better information came along. Was the site perfect? Nope. Until just a year ago we were all certain that there were no 427 Cougars with factory AC, until one showed up with every document to support it. I am sure that he wasn't able to make every one happy, but I would put his service to the hobby next to any ones.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
In the very beginning, TCCN was a subscription site (1998?). At that time the site was publishing monthly. I was one of the first attempts at an online magazine that I am aware of. Ultimately, the work load was just too much for a volunteer crew and the publication ceased. At that time the subscription fee was dropped, and it became a free site. Over time some of the information became outdated and website technology continued to advance. Steve did a complete update of the site and it was known as TCCN II, and then about a year or so ago he started to make one last effort to update it again, to create TCCN III. I will leave it to others to try to explain exactly what all was there, but suffice to say that I don't think it will ever be matched.
Bill. TCCN was free for the first couple of years.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Leon, I did not know that... When I first discovered the site it was subscription. Maybe you can share a little of the early history?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
It was free in the beginning and I believe it was updated once a month. Stuff like "Cat Snap" would change monthly along with the Litter Box and Steve's editorial.

It later became a subscription site that was only like $18 a year. I think it was at this time that it changed to a twice monthly update. Or it could have been twice monthly when I was free. Can't remember for sure.

Once it closed down the first time, I didn't keep up with it after that.

However, in a "small world" kind of story, Steve noticed that my email addy was very similar to a woman on his staff: Becci Tomlyn-Litten. She was the person who covered the shows on the west coast, took some pictures and wrote up a story. Turns out, we both worked for the same company although on opposite coasts. We connected via email and she has since been to the "House of Hero" to visit when she and her husband traveled through town. We still try to keep in regular contact even if it's only via email or Christmas cards. And she never fails to remember my boys at Christmas by sending more Cougar Hot Wheels to add to their collections.

·
Registered
80 Posts
"I just remember back when he (Steve) started the site how many mistakes he had and he snapped when told there were errors in his data. So goodbye. And glad to see it's shut down. Sad to see that others' contributions may be gone but Steve's can go in the trash in my opinion."

dfwcatsclub...Wow!!! Who pottied in your Cheerios??? I'm in complete agreement with Bill on this. Why in the world would you throw out a comment like that? Steve and his team put in countless hours building the site originally, researching information and putting it all together to give us knowledge that would be very difficult for the rest of us to find. Then like Bill inferred, he reworked it to make it better not once, but twice! I can't say for sure, but I believe all on his own time and his own dime. Comments like yours are most likely the reason why he tired of trying to please us anymore. I can't blame him...

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
dfwcatsclub...Wow!!! Who pottied in your Cheerios???
It's more than the one example. The guy didn't want anyone telling him he had mistakes. When myself and others attempted to improve the site he fought back. So goodbye and good riddance!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts