Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, it isn't for sale.
Yes, he paid 250.00 dollars for it when he was 17. Yes, he is my age~ish.
I have made a very open invitation to use my time and pick up truck, to help in any way possible to get said Grecian Gold with white top, W code 427 GT-E (with XR-7 package) back on the road. He has been collecting parts for many years, and is due to retire soon. So now is the time for him to get to work.
I've seen probably 6 or 8 of these cars in person in my life, and they always make me very jealous!! But there is still hope, a barn find for me is still out there! I think there are just over a hundred that are un accounted for...
Pictures to come, when I get to see the car.
Yes, it is in the registry.

·
Registered
34 Posts
About 23 years ago I couldn't come to agreement on a W code GTE. It was in Metamora Indiana. He wanted $4500 and I would only go to $4000. �� Although I'm sure I would have sold it along the way like I did other cars I kick myself for. ��

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I never had an opportunity for a GT-E, but do kick my self for not buying the 69 R code 428CJ Eliminator for $500.00 back in 1978. I was in Anchorage Alaska on a vacation visiting my mom. I could not see any way to get it back to Kirkland WA. But I did have the $500.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I asked him to day when it was running last, and found out that the engine is disassembled, and out of the car. "Fresh" 30 year old machine work can't go bad.....I hope he stored the crankshaft properly! I made it a point to volunteer my self again, (shamelessly just so I can actually work on one, and get some great pictures hopefully!)
to do what ever he needs done to get the Cougar back in the shop and get started on putting it all back together!
I am a fan of all collectible year Cougars, and yes, even the 71/73 body style is growing on me. However, these GT-E cars are the rarest of the rare, and even the opportunity to see one is hard enough to come by! I hope I can start posting pictures soon!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I made it a point to volunteer my self again, (shamelessly just so I can actually work on one, and get some great pictures hopefully!)
to do what ever he needs done to get the Cougar back in the shop and get started on putting it all back together!
Y'know, that may be all it takes to get him motivated and re-ignite interest in his Cougar - the idea that someone else is willing to help so he doesn't have to do it all alone.

You may need to be pro-active and set up a firm Cougar "play date". Tell him you'll come by on such-and-such day with some beers to check it out and work out a plan to get it back on the road ;-)

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like everybody else, life gets in the way of projects. However, he has admitted that I am more excited about the car than he is! Hopefully a few things will happen pretty soon, and if I can't work on the E car, at least I will be able to work on my own stuff again soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts