Mercury Cougar Owners banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had no problems with the shifter plate. But I used thehstock one. According to what I read some of the aftermarket ones need some trimming to of the shifter opening in the floor to fit. Who's trans cross member did you use? Mine is from Modern driveline.
I used the modern driveline trans crossmember. It really seemed to put the rear of the transmission too high. I didn't have to trim the shifter opening- no problems there. The formed metal brace that is spot welded to the underside floor a few inches ahead of the shifter opening is where the interference issue was.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I used the modern driveline trans crossmember. It really seemed to put the rear of the transmission too high. I didn't have to trim the shifter opening- no problems there. The formed metal brace that is spot welded to the underside floor a few inches ahead of the shifter opening is where the interference issue was.
Interesting. I had no problem there. When I put her on the lift next I'll look abd take some pictures. I have Mary Ann on it now replacing ps hoses and the harmonic balancer.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I took Ginger to work yesterday. Then went to a curse in. She ran great, shifted fine and all went well until time to go. She did not crank at all. Like the neutral safety switch was not in start mode. I fiddled around with the connector and she started. I used an Old 4 speed pigtail that shorts the circuit. I at that point thought the plug may not have been set tight. I had a fun drive home. Shut it off and went in to the shop to open the bay door up. Then she would mot crank no mater what I did. So the old short across the solenoid and in to the shop she went.
So this morning I went about trouble shuting it. No power to the solenoid, as expected. Unpluged the safety switch/backup light connector. I hab continuity over the 2 pins. But got no power from the switch. I have a tilt collum I'm going to restore for this car. So I plugged in the ignition switch. Bingo! Starts up fine. So I installed it.
So the question I have is do any of you 70 owners know who has reproduction 70 ignition switches?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Is there something unique in the tilt column switch or are they all the same? Would a Mustang one work...?

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1970/ford/mustang/steering/ignition_switch.html
This is the review for this part,
The switch isn't really for a 1970 as the wires are not the correct length and the plug connection is different than the ones used in 1970. I was able to use the switch portion by splicing the short wires into the existing wires with the correct plug
I may end up getting one or 2. They are the same on a fixed and tilt. Even though the way it connects to the key lock is not the same. I did swap the one from the tilt over so I could make it to a car show on Sunday. I have pictures on my Facebook page from it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You might be able to extract the pins on your old one and lengthen the wires but what a pita........you would think somebody would have a good repop by now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I found what I need to know,
At about 1.44 this video stated it has a rubber plug installed to keep out debris and it will move when you install the drive shaft. I would think the manufacture would have a notice about it included for idiots like me.
Should be a Lmao button, i'm an idoit too, great post and pictures, Thanks Neal

61 - 68 of 68 Posts