Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some money coming in some time in the next few months and am thinking about a new engine and transmission for Ginger. Thinking 393W or 408W AOD or maybe a 5 speed. So any one with recommendations for crate engines or builder in the Seattle area please chime in. The goal is a fun street driver with good manors. Not an over the top all out 1/4 miler. My plans are to drive her like I do mow but with more power and confidence on long cruses. Maybe some where around 375 to 400 horses and not needing to spin up high to have fun.
I like the idea of swapping in the 5 speed, but know it would have more challenges then a built AOD. I look forward to hearing what you folks think.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Bob aka 1969xr7vert might still have some parts you might be interested in Neal - he was offering them up a few weeks ago to somebody looking to switch to manual - if you want to go the manual route. I personally think either is fine. maintenance wise the AT might be the attractive way and you already have the right stuff for the most part.....

There are some good 408 kits out there to just have your own built - but I guess it depends on how many friends you have in the machine shop arena - it get's pricey to have the work done vs going to a crate motor these days!

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far I am leaning to a AOD, it would take less work to do. I have been looking at crate 408Ws, I have been hoping to find a local distributor or builder. I have a phone number for a guy south of Seattle that I will be checking with. But want to have a roller block if I can. I got a link on the other site. I will keep watching for ideas and post any I come up with for thoughts.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking at this one, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp11m/overview/make/ford or the 408 equivalent. At this time I am waiting to get a new 4 post lift installed before taking her apart. I am hoping to move along soon.

I have replaced the die cast chrome parts on the back, new tail light bezels and gas door trim. Looks great.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
4 post lift!! I'm so jealous......I wouldn't have the rafter clearance for one. I see them pop up for sale used quite often on CL too

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Well now that should get it down the road in a quick way ...... I sure here you on that lift ... takes alot of the work out of it ....

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Parts are coming in, Looks like I'll only get the trans done this year. Decided to do a Super T-5 swap. Cable clutch nice kit from CJ Pony parts.
20150430_194859
The T-5 has not come in yet, and the clutch fork should ship tomorrow.
20150430_194942
The kit uses some parts from Modern Drive line. But I ordered there Clutch peddle directly from Modern Drive line.
20150430_195541
20150430_195646
Billet Fly wheel...
20150430_195737
20150430_195753
King Cobra clutch kit. I plan to start the swap in about 2 weeks. I hope the transmission ships soon.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
That is going to be sweet, Neal. Nice choice.

Will we be seeing you in Port Angeles this weekend?

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is going to be sweet, Neal. Nice choice.

Will we be seeing you in Port Angeles this weekend?
Well, I'm not sure. I "get"* to work Saturday and both Cougars are not ready to go....

* I work for Boeing, The "We need you this weekend" company... Kind of a bad date but at least I get paid well. Does that make me hooker?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Trust me neal, anytime overtime is available at my work i try to get it. Ginger should be purring better n better once you get done.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
103 Posts
What made you choose the T-5? You know its rated at 300ft lbs of torque... I can't imagine a 408 producing anything less.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I decided I'm not going to go for much more them 350HP was the big part. Ginger needs the transmission replaced soon, The old FMX is not happy. And the guy I talked with said the parts that are howling are not available new(planetary gears). But just the same I want over drive. The kit from CJ pony parts is complete. Including a drive shaft I deleted. I'm getting the Super duty World class T-5Z from Summit Racing. CJ did not have it in stock but Summit does. It is rated at 330ftlf. Still well below the TKO but more in a budget.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-7003-z/overview/

Oh Jeff, Not going to happen...

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have almost all the parts for the transmission swap now, the rest will be here tomorrow. And just small items like the bushings for the clutch peddle and peddle pads and trim rings. I spent this evening cleaning up the underside of Ginger, I plan to run her in to town tomorrow and pressure wash the underside as well. I will be doing the swap this weekend. I will still need a drive shaft, but will get that done next week or so.
20150521_194624_HDR
She is up on the lift at this time,
20150521_194755_HDR
Parts, Parts Parts. As I will be running this engine for another year I am going to replace the leaky oil pan gaskets and timing cover gaskets and front seal. If the timing chain is loose I have another new one here too.
20150521_194539_HDR
If anyone knows where I can get a T-handle like this one, with the 5 speed pattern in it I'd like to know who has them. I like the look, it goes with the theme I have been using on the car. Look like it could be stock.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just something to note because I'm still running it down- when you put the T5/bellhousing/clutch all together, use an indicator on a magnetic base to check runout from flywheel to bellhousing locating diameter. I didn't, and ended up with an energized input shaft (too much pressure against the pilot bearing) that caused a grind shifting into 5th at anything but glacier-slow shift speeds.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just something to note because I'm still running it down- when you put the T5/bellhousing/clutch all together, use an indicator on a magnetic base to check runout from flywheel to bellhousing locating diameter. I didn't, and ended up with an energized input shaft (too much pressure against the pilot bearing) that caused a grind shifting into 5th at anything but glacier-slow shift speeds.
Good idea, Did you use a Bushing or the roller bearing?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 68 Posts