Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hmmm, that Cougar looks sad, send it here to stay with my 69, it will be happier and be able to sleep finally. loo at it, its eyes are wide open! lol

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, that's my 68 Fairlane. The Cougar is covered, in the carport, in front of the Fairlane. That's my winter beater, until I fix my truck, lol

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
damn, that was a bad white paint job then lol. ill take it anyway. wait, you guys have that rust i hear so much about huh?? i dunno then lol

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah we get rust, we also get 4 months of winter. The Fairlane was in pretty good shape when I got it. The 70 Cougar wasnt so lucky though. I posted pix of it in Pictures, just look for my username. dark7068

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was trying to go with the Dan Gurney paint scheme, hahahaha.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
BBBBBBBBrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

And THAT.......... Ladies and Gentlemen.......... is why I moved from Detriot to the lovely and snow absent area that I live in now. If I want to see snow I'll go and visit the stuff up in the mountains. And I did that a few years ago so I'm good to go for a couple of more years.:1poke: I did manage to take the Cat for some exersize yesterday.... Nice thing about california winter driving.... NO BUGS.:D

Don

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The thing about that picture is that snow came over night. I drive the Fairlane everyday, and shovel the drive everyday, so we got about 6 inches that night. Not fair, anyone have room for me and the wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs, 4 vehicles, and a bunch of parts,lol.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Truth be known theres probably a few more reasons he left Detroit besides the weather. Dark I got room, but the room and board can get real, real expensive around here. I need money for that overhaul!!!! mm

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
mm...
That's very true.... They salt the roads... the murder capital of the world(at that time) My 73 cat rusted out the rear quarters after only 5 years of existance. I made the choice to leave in 1977 when I walked out of the mercury dealership where I worked to go home and the Stone in my class ring shattered from the cold.... I said thats it!:eek2:

the rest is history

Don

·
Registered
406 Posts
I live in the valley here by the bay but there is this one mountain only about 15 minutes from my house and it's about 3500 ft up there and every now and then it does snow on top so one day it was snowing like a mad man and I drove up there to play in it and I drove in about 6 inches of snow. I'm not entirely sure but I think that may have been my 68's first incounter with the snow - this was last winter. I don't think my car has ever left San Jose - it was born and raised here just like me. - Chad

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i dont think my car has ever seen snow. the owner was an old lady ( yes it is a true story lol ) and she bought the car new back in the day. she passed away at the age of 95 (!) and her nephew took it over after that. the car sat for about 5 years until her nephew got it running again. his wife fell ill so he sold the car to bring in some extra money to help her out. thats how the car came into my hands. it was in Ventura all its life, it was built in Michigan ( if i remember all of the data plate stuff right ) it was delivered to the Los Angeles DSO and stayed here since then. when i got the car, i was picking sand out of a few areas for a while. damn beaches lol. just because its an Ex old womans car doesnt mean it was perfect. it has had its share of accidents in its time, which i only discovered after i started the body work on it. but oh well, at least California cars dont get the rust that the rest of the country gets. so ha ha ha. ( jk jk jk )

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have something to say to that. If it wasnt for the rust belt, there wouldnt be any repo parts made for them right. There is demand for panels because of the rust. Plus I really get to play with my car, hahaha.
But I would trade you for a clean, rust free car anyday. I'm getting tired of playing.

Rick

·
Registered
356 Posts
You guys got it good in Cali, I'm sure NY isn't any better than MI. I love when you get a cali or az car in ny, there is sand in the rails not RUST! Although a buddy and I found a 70 mach in climate controlled garage, it had 1972 stickers on the window and 1976 plates. Better than a southwest car anyday, all the rubber there, no faded interior, brakes still work. Nothing dried out! but it is a once in many life time thing. btw, the car has 21k original miles.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Don your right about that time, I just left my job in the new murder capital. Gary IN!!!.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
BRRRRRRRRRRR!

Snow, rust, road salt......sounds like northern Ontario...but @#$%^&*, it's -30 outside right now! The 67 is nice and warm though!!
:p:

·
Registered
364 Posts
texrep said:
the rest is history

Don
what i want to know, don, is how that history brought you to own a 68, not a 73... hmmmm?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts

I had two 73s at different times in my life. I kick myself for selling the 2nd one 'cause it was cherry ( but it needed engine work ) anyway....One day I went to help a friend tow a truck home from some guy's house where he bought it. and this guy had a 68 in the back that was all primered up. He told me that he would take $2500 for it and that is was a liitle ole ladies car, but after closer examination the car appeared to have been wrecked at some point. None of the gaps in the body were right..... soo I told the guy he was F.O.S. and started my search for a cougar. Three months go by and one night my wife comes home and tells me about a cougar at the local chevy dealer. We go down and look at it and I knew I had to have that cat.... so I struck a deal with dealer (who has since opened up a classic car place) wrote him a check and brought my new baby home.... at THAT is the rest of the story:D and besides I had always wanted a 67/68 cat since I was 9 years old when I saw the first cougar at the dealership where my dad worked back in the summer of '66.

I would like to get a 73 for my daughter (and me) . But I want a ragtop this time... I'm always looking.........

Don:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts