Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 68 "J" Code 302 has developed a bit a smoking problem. This problem only shows up under spirited driving, like when I'm doing 55 on the freeway and I give it more gas to pass. Also noticed that it will do this from time to time on those 0 to 60 freeway entrances ;). This problem really seems to present itself when I'm using the secondaries at the higher RPM range. (note higher rpm on this 3.0:1 rear geared car is 3000 rpm)

The smoke is a light grey-white color and isn't too heavy. The oil level in the car is still good but I suspect that this is a burnt oil problem.

I'm hoping this is not bad piston rings because that means a rebuild sooner than I anticipated.

Any thoughts on the cause of this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't believe its your rings .If it was oil the smoke would be blue ' too much fuel is black and water is a white smoke.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to get the color codes staight ;)

So if this is a water caused smoking problem what would cause this?

And I don't want to hear cracked block, how else can water get into the inner workings of the engine and create this type of smoke?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Oil problem

After 'spirited driving', you've pumped a lot of oil up to the valvetrain. If your engine has a few miles on it, chances are that your valvestem oil seals have crumbled away and pieces are blocking the oil return holes. Then what you get is a valve cover full of oil. Then you really start to get oil leakage past the non-existant oil seals, down along the valvestem and sucked into the combustion chamber. Try replacing the valve seals. You might get lucky.

Also, again if your engine has more than a few miles on it, your oil rings on the pistons have worn out or plugged up with deposits. In either case, the result is the same - poor oil control past the rings.

These oil problems will go away with a good rebuild. There are no real shortcuts.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
My vote is for the valve stem oil seals. Sounds like it to me unless your vacuum line to your transmission modulater is broken. A quick valve job should fix the problem. While you are at it make sure you have the seats hardened to run better on unleaded fuel. Just my 2 cents.:)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sounds like a valve stem seal problem. Water leak would be there all the time. If you want , let me know and I can tell you how to change them in a few hours without pulling the heads.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well she's going into the mechanic on friday for a diagnosis. So, i'll let you know what the mechanic finds.

Thanks for all the info, it helps a lot! :)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Evil...
Definately let us know what you find.. My 302 has developed the same kind of thing... An annoying tick at the # 8 cylinder. I can't tell if it an exhaust leak or a lifter..... it is driving me nuts:mad:

don

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey,

This is the same problem that I am having with my cougar. Except it doesn't smoke, theres just an annoying ticking sound coming from the # 8 cylinder, too. :mad:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My vote is also for the valve stem seals. I like using the umbrela type seals they seem to do a better job of keeping exess oils off your valve stems. For you shadetree mechanics this is a realitively easy thing to change on a saturday. You will need a valve spring compressor and either a compressor with an adapter to screw into your spark plug hole or a piece of rope to feed into it to hold the valves up. Seals are cheap.
Good luck
John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the help wvcat. I think this next weekend I will pull the valve covers and go for the new seals. I checked with a friend that's a mechanic and he recommended the same thing. Wish me luck!!!:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts