Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left the Cats at home so I could play with my Pony.
A 60 year old with 35 year old technology.
1967 Fast back with a 427 tunnel-port.

·
Registered
406 Posts
First of all I second that. Also you must be on a higher plain of existance with all those super fords! Man I'd never leave the street, I'm surprised you even find time to grace us with the pictures you post on these boards. :D thanks - Chad

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Reminds me of the times...

Badcat,

That pic reminds me of the time when I took Beta Cat to the local track (Norwalk, OH) for its annual Ford vs Chevy day (Alpha cat was already apart for its never-ended 'restoration').

Being young and stupid, I entered Beta Cat into the 'Smoky Burnout Contest', an event where you'd powerbrake the car and have the fans in the stands do the judging. That day I was running a set of old nine inch slicks that a friend had loaned me. They were old, hard refugees from the early 70s that came on my buddy's ex-race Boss 429, but good enough for Beta to get the extra traction it needs.

Anyway, I was up against a V-8 Vega. At the signal, his right rear tire started smoking but good. Me? I wound Beta up to around 4000rpm in first gear then shifted into second and held that at around 3500rpm. Ya gotta remember that Beta Cat is my ~'stocker' 351C-4V, running factory intake and exhaust manifolds and full factory duals, but it does have the factory 'CJ' torque converter and I had installed a set of 3.70 gears into the posi rear.

My smoke cloud started a bit slower than the Vega's, but once those old slicks (remember I turning over those old 9" slicks!) got warmed up, I was in cloud heaven, literally. There was a mild following wind and it was pushing the smoke back over us. I couldn't see a thing. I had my eyes glued to my tach, trying to maintain rpm. Then, after what seemed like forever, but in reality was just 60 seconds, I had a knock on my window. The track official was yelling at me to shut it down, that I had won. My buddies were laughing 'cause I left a pile of ground rubber behind both tires that you could visibly see from the stands.

It turns out that the Vega had blown his tire just fifteen seconds into the contest. They just let me go, to the delight of the crowd. I got out and did my victory dance, then got back in and did the mother of all hole shots, smoking the tires through a good 100ft off the line.

My 'effort' was good for one point in the Chevy/Ford contest, just like a 'win' in eliminations. There were other non-racing contests as well. Spark plug change, tug of war, hot dog eating contest... Even though us Ford guys were outnumbered to start with, we kicked Chevy butt. It went as far as no Chevy's left and us Ford guys had to race each other to determine the champion. Yep, I won that, too, for my class! Good for $400 in merchandise at the old Midwest Discount Auto stores. It was to be my only event win of my racing career in the money classes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts