Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fan starts blowing smoke when i turn the heat on in my car and the engine is warm, when its cold its fine. What would cause this and how can i fix it?

Dustin

·
Registered
339 Posts
It may be steam coming out of your heater. When my heater core went out steam would blow out of it. either way good luck.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Definately the heater core has gone "South for the winter." Not the easiest job to replace it. There have been threads on here before on the best plan of attack to replace it.

Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were could i find a heater core for a 68 cougar, or is there one from another vehicle that will fit that i can use?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yeah, I know Kragen has them. I asked Mustangs Etc. a while back how much they would charge to do mine, and the guy just laughed and said, "Hundreds".

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
just buya new heater core. they arent expensive. dont waste your time looking for one in a junkyard, chances are that that one is bad as well. i got mine on Ebay for i think $20. it wasnt easy to install, but the job got done. took the better part of an afternoon to do but yup, it saved alot of cash.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I had the same problem and I just disassembled the heater box. The core was leaking in several places. I ordered a new core as well as a gasket kit for the heater box. It`s the perfect time to change all the gaskets and clean up the box. A little time, cleaner and paint and it'll look like new!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts