Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive looked all over online and cannot find a straight forward answer, I changed the oil and filter and now whenever you punch the gas, the exhaust spits out smoke and when shifting into 2nd it sputters and bogs down, easing up on the gas it'll shift into third and then sputter again but upon easing up it evens out. before the oil change none of this happened. Im taking her to a mechanic in the morning and having a oil change and tune up. maybe itll fix this issue, i put in 10w-30, maybe it shoulda been 5w-30. maybe i overfilled? i put in a full bottle of 5plus quarts. oh and its not the original motor, its a rebuilt 302/5.0

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
???WTF?? First thought was you put in WAY to much but 5Q (including filter change) is correct. So I'm thinking you musta bumped something. The oil you used has nothing to do with it. Just for giggles pull you dipstick and see what the level says its at? I wonder if your fuel pump craped out on you and filled up your pan with gas..? (If it's overfilled - you would be to smell it/see it)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had a 390 in my pick up truck that did the same thing. Turned out to be a compression problem one cylinder had an abnormally high compression as compared to the rest. not really sure how the hell it happened. Had to remove the Heads and rebuild them. The guy at the engine shop told me something about the Valves sticking and causing a problem. Still not sure on that I think he took advantage of me but I was 16 and it was my first truck. I wounder if timing could effect that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bat,
Did you dump the oil in pretty fast? I'm thinking the oil couldn't drain from the valve cover into the pan fast enough and some oil went down a valve guide or two. The result being an oil fouled plug or two. That could explain the sputtering and smoke. You said it's a rebuilt 5.0? If done right and not too long ago, then I'm wrong and I have NO idea. Maybe bad69 is right, something got bumped?
The grade of oil should not matter.
Good luck, let us know what you find.
Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts