Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All:

I've been looking at purchasing a 1968 cougar up in Michigan and after some talking to the owner I have heard of only one problem with the car. There is some blue smoke on starts. My guess was the valve guides, but wanted to check to see if anyone else has had this problem, and thought there would be no better place to check, than with the people who know these cars best!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
That can be one cause. There can be several contributing factors. Has the car sat for extended periods of time? Has it only been run briefly and not given a chance to "warm up". Did it receive periodic maintenance. Without knowing it's history there is no way to determine the cause. I have had cars that did this but got better after consistent driving and use.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
More than likely the valve seals are shot, the factory style ones get hard/brittle/crack over time. Then the oil runs down the valve when you turn it off and the next time you start it up there is some burning off....not a hard job to do if you have a valve spring compressor and a air compressor with a fitting for the spark plug hole. You use air pressure to hold up the valves while you remove the retainers and put in new seals.....(you can use a bent screwdriver through the spark plug hole if you feel lucky/confident you won't drop the valve )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts