Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a seventy cougar with the smell of gas in the car while driving. I checked the car over, all the lines, tank, fuel pump and carb..... There's no visable leaks. The car is equipped with the Cali smog gear, does this unit it the trunk ever cause an issue such as gas smell? My other old cougar wasn't equipped with this and I never had an issue as this car has. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Yes, it's the California smog thing. My 70 had the same problem. If you hadn't mentioned the smog thing, I still would have said that's what it is.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's the California smog thing. My 70 had the same problem. If you hadn't mentioned the smog thing, I still would have said that's what it is.
Thanks, Besides getting rid of this system, is there a cure?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
If you get rid of the system, you must totally plug up all of the fittings on top of the gas tank.
A shrunk or cracked / damaged / broken top of gas tank fitting is the most likely culprit.

I would replace the fuel tank, you can use either a 1969 20 gallon or 1970 22 gallon tank, but you will need to replace and reinstall the correct fuel filler neck. 1969 and 1970 filler necks are each different. In your case, using the 1969 tank would be easiest since it the 1969 filler neck is easier to find. Your 1970 fuel tank sending unit will work with either the 20 or 22 gallon tanks.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trunk seal is new. I will still check tho for proper sealing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts