Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there such a thing as a 16gal tank that fits our cougars? Way back when I bought my cougar it seems I remember the guy telling me it had the wrong tank. I fill it and the guage only reads just above half and I get only about 14 gals in it from empty, I ran out of gas the other day and it inspired me to fix this issue I've delt with for the past 15yrs. This tank has a drain plug in the front corner, it doesn't stick up in trunk like my friends 69 mustang's tank. Thinking it maybe came out an early 6 cylinder mustang or cougar? I don't mind it being small, (more room in trunk) but I need the sending unit to match it. PS Something about the filler neck seems odd too.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Looking in my 67 shop manual it says the Cougar/Mustang had a 16 gal tank. Now looking in my 68 shop manual it says the Mustang had a 16 gal tank and the Cougar had a 17 gal tank. The 70 Cougar had 2 different filler necks, 1 for the non-emission 49 states non-California gas tank and one for the CA emission gas tank (DSO 52 or 53). See what DSO is listed on the sticker on your drivers door if it's there. John

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that explains it, my 70 has a 67-68 tank in it , should be a 22gal for 1970. The 66-67 tank evidently fits right into the hole of a 70's trunk.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
They will fit from 67-70 with a modification to the filler neck, the later tanks are a bit taller inside the trunk. We put a 70 tank in my 68 for increased capacity for long treks.

cheers
Ed N.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts