Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fitting a 351W with a smallblock C6 in my '67, but I'm having a problem with the difference in length between the C4 and C6. Will the transmission mount and driveshaft from a 390 car work, or was there a big difference between the smallblock and bigblock C6's. Does the mount bolt into the same point on the frame? How did it fit in relation to the exhaust (I'm running headers)? I'm fairly new to this whole thing, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
You can...

You can use the parts from a 390 Cougar in this set up. You also can get a cross member from a 69 to 73 Cougar/Mustang with a FMX and have your drive shaft shortened and the C6 yoke added to it. C4 and C6 have deferent size out put shafts. I have put small block C6s in to 69 and 70 cougars. You may have to play with the shifter rod to make it work, and make sure you get a speedo cable gear for the C6. If I remember they are not the same as a C4 gear. As to your exhaust you should not have any more problems then you had from the C4. The side of the cross member with one hole goes to the side of the trans with the Vacuum modulator, Then bolts up to the same holes in your frame cross member. Just don't tighten the mount nuts to the cross member until it is mounted to the car. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts