Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a new question for you all =)

I mentioned to you all about how my cat has a hesitation out of the hole (or whenever you get on it for that matter). Well, I adjusted the timing the other day (It said stock was 6deg) and it was at 9deg. so I bumped it up to 12deg (No pinging, runing Mobil's 91).

Well, after doing the timing yesterday, I tested her out today, and whoa, what a difference! Was runing great, no hesitation at all! And the tires, well, when I hit the gas out of the hole, they would spin like they were on ice. After that, I went home, and parked it in the driveway. Where it sat for about 5 hours.

When I went for a drive tonight, it seemed to have the same pep in the begining of the drive, but about 10-15 minutes later, it was back to it's old self, very sluggish off the line, or whenever I really got on the throtle. So, I took it home, and checked the timing (Thinking somehow it might have moved back) but it was still set to 12.

Since then, I have driven it once again, and once and a while it felt like it had some pep, and then other times it felt like it was gutless.

I'm really stumped on this one, I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil. The carburator is a Holley 4412 500CFM 2bbl.

Anyone have any ideas? One thing I am curious on is, when I turn the signals on, they will blink faster while the engine is at a higher RPM, and slower when the engine is at an idle (Sometimes, the signal light on the dash will even stop blinking, at an idle). Which makes me wonder if, somehow the car is not getting enough power from a complete stop to really get the car moving (Like not giving a hot enough spark). Could this be true? I just replaced the alternator, and voltage regulator, and when I put the multimeter on the battery it runs about 12.5 at idle, and will go up to 14-16 with higher RPM's. Maybe a ground problem? Replaced the power wire from battery to cylinoid (they didn't have the negative in stock, and I didn't feel like making one).

Well, any help would be great! Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
just a thought here, you are getting 12.5 at idle?? ive heard that you should be getting more than that with these cars. there was a news letter for the CCOA ( i used to be a member, but it was either the Ford show or another year there... i made my decision and i stand by it ) and they said that you should get i think it was like 13.5 volts at idle. ( im not exactly sure what it was, but it was pretty high ) try to tighten the alternator belt a bit and see if that does anything. just out of curiosity here..... are you still running the old points in the distributor??? they suck and maybe they are crapping out after a drive. if thats it call yourself lucky, my old points used to misfire and stall the engine when they got hot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts