Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Since I misplaced my slip yoke and drive shaft, I had to order a replacement but I'm unsure if I got the right drive shaft. The slip yoke fits perfectly in the 3 speed transmission. However, is the width of the driveshaft ends suppose to be different? Can't seem to find a u-joint with differing widths. Please see picture.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The driveshaft looks to be 4in. which is usually used on big block and boss cars, the yoke is 31/2in. which is pretty much standard size for automatics, there is a yoke that fits that driveshaft but if you want to use what you have, you will have to do what the above spoke of. most parts houses have the two different size joints.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi,
thanks for the reply.
2 questions:
1. the yoke is for a 3 speed manual. do i have the right yoke?
2. does anybody know which part number and from who I should order from? i'm in Laos, and would really appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Technically the transmission yoke and that side of the driveshaft are supposed to be the same size. Did you check both ends of the driveshaft?
There are three series of u-joints that are common -- 1310, 1330, 1350. You don't have a 1350.
It looks like you have a 1310 yoke and a 1330 driveshaft. There is a conversion u-joint from Neapco or NAPA that crosses over.

At the rear end you need to watch out for the u-joint cap size. There are 1 1/16" caps and 1 1/8" caps. You will have to measure to see which size you will need.

More info later...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts