Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about building a tool to use to push the wheel wells out just a bit. I need what looks like about 1/2 inch even after trimming the lip. I have drawn up a jig using 1 inch square tube then notching it and bending it until it is the shape of the wheel arch for the 67. Only about the upper half to 2/3rds of the arch. Then a pusher bar located across that that would then use a porta power to ease out the wheel well. I successfully did this on a 65 Mustang with more primitive wood blocks and never left a dimple or a mark. Car is in primer so paint won't crack. Anyone ever done similar?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
You're OK with a little "massaging", but whatever you push out gets pulled from somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Its not as high-tech as your idea, but I had a buddy that accomplished this with an old baseball bat between the tire and fender lip. He rolled the bat back and forth while slowly working the big end outwards, until he obtained the desired clearance.This was on a Fox-body Mustang, not a Cougar, but should work the same in theory.

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I've seen people on Craigslist that have bought that and are renting it out to try to recoup some of the money spent on it. For a one-time deal, it would be much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got bought the tool. I have a tire coming in the size I want to run. We will get that mounted up and see what I got for clearance and go from there. I have decided to cut as much of the lip away as reasonable before rolling. We will see ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts