Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to plan the resto of the Q Code '69 Convertible. I am repainting it the factory Pastel Grey color. I plan on doing complete resto on the car, but I am not going crazy with correct paint markings etc.. I am leaving everything bone stock. My question is this. Should I do a base/clear or leave it single stage like the factory painted it?

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Well, that all depends on how long you want the paint job to last.....

If you are going for originality, Laquer is the way to go.

If you are going for longevity, BC CC.

Nice moniker by the way. Looks almost familiar....:)

·
Registered
173 Posts
By 68' Ford was using enamel on the exterior of the cars. While chevy was still using laquer, at least till 69' on vettes. So if you go with single stage then acrylic enamel is the way to go. One of the characteristic of this paint is orange peel though and it was designed so you didn't have to cut and buff by putting a shine on the outer layer. Another thing to remember is that the paint that is made today is not the same as in the 60' even if you use enamel. They took the lead out around the early 90's and started requiring the use of hvlp type guns.

·
Registered
913 Posts
A word of advice, have all of your panels,doors,hood and trunk on the car when you do your alignment and body work so that they all line up when you are ready to paint. The single stage paints require a hardner to make them dry quicker and shine more and this also allows to cut and buff if necessary.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Two things, original was still an enamel, not lacquer. Second, both single stage and BC/CC have hardener and can be cut/buffed. Well, actually, just about anything can be cut/buffed.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I hate BC/CC!!!!!! Four times the last project needed to be repainted in 10 years or so.....

Next project is getting IMRON. If it's good enough for airplanes, it's good enough for a car! Actually our 68 was in fairly fresh IMRON when I first got it back in 82....VERY tough paint...and scratches polished out and buffed back up to a beautiful shine....but you can only do that with solid colors...not metallics!

If the factory isn't putting the BC/CC paint on....I don't care who makes it, it will not hold up as well as the original...... IMHO.

Thanks for asking!
Steve

·
Registered
928 Posts
I am starting to plan the resto of the Q Code '69 Convertible. I am repainting it the factory Pastel Grey color. I plan on doing complete resto on the car, but I am not going crazy with correct paint markings etc.. I am leaving everything bone stock. My question is this. Should I do a base/clear or leave it single stage like the factory painted it?
The cars came from the factory as a single stage acrylic enamel with orange peel, In fact the MCA in I believe the thorough-bread class counts off if you have bc/cc and if you don’t have the right amount of orange peal.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
On my white 71 429CJ project I chose a single stage urethane, Light colors, especially non metallics do not get the same punch as a bc/cc on a dark color or black, they just don’t show the depth that a darker color does.

<o:p></o:p>
You may want to reconsider doing paint marks on your car. A few distinct marks i.e. springs, drive shaft and sway bar. And a few distinct marks under the hood – will add to the cars look. The cars originally had dozens of marks – while you don’t have to be extreme a few well chosen marks will increase the level of your restoration.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If it was my car, I would go with the PPG acrylic single stage paint, you will add extra $$$ to your car on resale.

Good Luck
Chuck

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the advice! This will help me decide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts