Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us are probably preparing our cars in our own way, I myself have totally stripped the front half down to nothing in order to clean do a disc brake conversion and install the new engine.
I am looking to get the decals for the engine compartment like the engine size caution fan etc. Can anyone tell me what decals the Cougars, 1967 in my case came with.
I see an awful lot of "Mustang" kits and was wondering if they are the same.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tim,
I have seen the kits.

What I want to find out is:
Did Cougars come with the caution fan decal and the "front" sticker on the air cleaner is there any specific restoration information as to what was there 35 years ago.

thanks

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
If your a member of TCCN there an article on "how the factory did it" but I've asked the same question before. I bought a mustang kit and some mercury specific stuff Like the airhorn sticker but as to placement......I just kinda winged it looking at other cars and fords in general. I cant remember the guys name... but you probably know him. He judged my cat at the nats and seemed pretty knowledgable about those kinds of thing. He had the green 68 (stock) Dennis peirachini (SCCC) I think.... and of course there is always Royce.... But I have yet to any document as to placement... Would be nice though.....

Don

·
Registered
889 Posts
cant wait

The big Ford show in columbus April5-6th WooHoo!! nothing like cristms in april

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Decals and decal placement can be a tricky issue. Why? Because the different assembly plants did things differently. There are marked differences in Dearborn vs. Metutchen built cars. I've never seen a San Jose-built car so I can't tell you about those. The different plants used different stickers in differnt locations. Weird, I know, but true. A good example is all of the inspection stickers. Dearborn used colored lettered stickers and Metutchen used paint stamps (or was it the other way around... :confused: ) In any case, I've caught people's restoration slip-ups at shows as being incorrect because of this issue. "Well, my buddy's car had them so I put them on mine" and then I throw them the assembly plant curve ball and watch their heads spin.

Also, some of the repop stickers are actually incorrect, depending on whose you use. A good case in point is the air cleaner decal on AlphaCat. My original one looks nothing like the one(s) the vendors have listed for my application. They insist that I'm mistaken. I'm going to take my lid down to Columbus to show those know-it-alls what's what! Then we'll see if they start repopping the correct one or not!

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I am talking about. I am going to do the decals as I see them at shows on what I would consider to be original unrestored and I will use my own judgement as to the ones I don't see.
I have always thought it was funny that the 1967 Air Cleaner has a "FRONT" decal when you can only put it on one way.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
he he he.. i currently have no air cleaner on the 67. uh oh.. lol. itll be at Chilis this week though. err it IS this weekend right? a little lighter than last time though.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I think most show judges don't really knock off points for decal placement because of the reasons that Milo stated. as long as they are in a place that makes sense... yes and the "front" decal is pretty funny... but if your going concourse, then the CCOA judging book is probably the bible and the funny thing is that engine compartment decals are not mentioned....

my .02

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts